Series vs Parallel and when to use. Newbie needs some advice

pfrischmnn

Hi guys,
I'm trying to understand how best to wire up my rack rig. I'm in the early stages and just acquiring gear and learning how to use it. Currently I have a Rocktron vavlesonic preamp, a Yamaha SPX-900 and a Roland SDE-300. I'm using an RJM rg-16 and a CAE mini/dual stereo line mixer to route things.

I have the buffer in line and then loop 1 has the preamp, loop 2 has the send going to the SPX-900 and then to the mixer, loop 3 send goes to the sde-1000 and then to the mixer. Output for loops 1-4 go to the mixer.

It actually sounds really good but I'm not sure I am using the effected signals to their fullest. There are a whole bunch of effects in the SPX-900 that I cannot use like chorus, tremolo or flanger as I am using it in parallel but when I use it in series, even if I bypass the RG-1G, the volume drops from line level to instrument level and I lose a lot of punch. Is there a better way to wire this?

Thanks for the help, Paul

The level change is likely because you are passing dry signal through your effects, doubling the amount of dry signal. Make sure they're set to 100% wet and there shouldn't be much if any volume change between series and parallel. You can then adjust your system for the lower, correct volume level.

Loss of punch is partially the lower volume change. But it's also the effect units themselves, and it's the reason that people started parallel routing in the first place. Older effects units digitized the dry tone, losing punch and sound quality in general.

I recommend running those effects in parallel all the time, using them for delay, reverb and harmonizer, and getting other more modern effects units (or analog effects) to run in series for chorus, flanger, etc.

Thanks for the response. I assume this is Ron. You make really great gear! everything is set 100% wet when set up to go parallel.

Yep, it's me. :)

I'm not sure why you would have such a change in level. In any case, dedicating those units to parallel and using others for series is still my recommendation, and would get around the level issue.

Back