Soldering TRS Insert custom cables and MIDI Y?

Hey all!

I love my RJM PBC-6x. I’d love to get more loops out of it. However with a compact board that often changes, I figure it’s time to learn how to solder my own cables.

Can you solder insert cables with varying lengths on the tip and ring? I’d imagine so, but wonder if anyone has any advice or video links on how to do it. Also; what are the lowest profile ends that are recommended?

I’m also interested in having a midi controlling bank my RJM unit. I have the same problem- a bestronics Y cable would be hard to work on a board that might change. What’s the cheapest midi box I could buy?

Making an insert cable with different lengths on both ends is no problem at all. I don't have any videos unfortunately. The best TRS plugs I know of are the stubby 1/4" plugs that Best-tronics sells. Last time I looked, they were not selling the TRS version of those plugs on their website, but they do make them - I've bought a bunch. They have one that has a larger opening in the rear so you can fit two cables through it.

The best solution for external bank switches is a 2-button momentary footswitch - you can't select banks from a MIDI controller at this time. We sell one on our website, the Boss FS-7 works with the right configuration, and there are other companies like Analog Endeavors that make third party switches.

Making an insert cable with different lengths on both ends is no problem at all. I don't have any videos unfortunately. The best TRS plugs I know of are the stubby 1/4" plugs that Best-tronics sells. Last time I looked, they were not selling the TRS version of those plugs on their website, but they do make them - I've bought a bunch. They have one that has a larger opening in the rear so you can fit two cables through it.

The best solution for external bank switches is a 2-button momentary footswitch - you can't select banks from a MIDI controller at this time. We sell one on our website, the Boss FS-7 works with the right configuration, and there are other companies like Analog Endeavors that make third party switches.

those plugs are now on their website. They have no strain relief, but that shouldn’t be a problem for a pedalboard.

I'm not entirely sure about that one, it depends on how it's constructed. The MIDI spec has an official way to split a MIDI signal (using a thru box), but lately people have been promoting cable-only solutions. They may work in some cases, maybe even most cases, but I suspect they won't work in all cases.

Do you have examples of cable only solutions that have been successful with the PBC? Underboard space is hard to come by and a box is pricey.

Maybe bestronics could make a male female Y split that would allow the end of the midi chain to use a standard midi cable into the Y split that’s female, instead of male.

Just looking for solutions because the lack of midi in has been one of the bigger struggles of me getting my PBC setup up and running.

I've never used a cable only solution for MIDI splitting, can't help you there. I'm sure Best-tronics can make it for you, but it's not 100% certain that it will work with any given set of pedals.

Back