song banks and maybe a bug?!

jluparello

okay. so i'm only a month into my journey with my PBC. i've got my first gig of the year with it next week. there were a few things i attempted at our last rehearsal that caused some unexpected behavior from the PBC. I have my presets for the songs and our songs into a setlist. i am trying to kill the signal at the end of one song, bank to the next song, tune if needed, and kick into the first preset of the new song. so logically i thought if i turned on mute/tune and banked to the next song i could unmute when i was ready. in theory this works however when i go to bank up again at the end of the current song sometimes it would reload the current song. sometimes it would bank up as expected. sometimes it would bank down even though i was banking up. i don't see any conflicting settings that could cause this. if it's helpful i have "auto page select" turned on and "instant bank switching" turned off. the behavior was pretty inconsistent and although it's not that big of a deal, i wanted to raise it up to see if anyone else ran into anything similar.

regardless, any suggestions on a better way to kill the signal between songs since my method is not being well received?

The bank buttons should not have any effect on anything in the audio path. They should only change the LEDs and the display. Audio changes should be delayed until a preset is selected. What you’re seeing may be a bug in Auto Page Select. Does it happen if Auto Page Select is turned off?

for clarification, the audio path is unaffected. if i don't mute/turner before banking to the next song, the last preset remains active until i select a new preset (with instant bank switching off). the bank functionality discrepancies only seem to show up if i bank to a new song while the tuner is engaged. i haven't tried the same steps with auto page select off and unfortunately i won't have access to my gear until load in this weekend.

for clarification, the audio path is unaffected. if i don't mute/turner before banking to the next song, the last preset remains active until i select a new preset (with instant bank switching off). the bank functionality discrepancies only seem to show up if i bank to a new song while the tuner is engaged. i haven't tried the same steps with auto page select off and unfortunately i won't have access to my gear until load in this weekend.
Ah, I see. I didn't really consider the possibility that someone would want to do anything other then tune when the tuner is active. As such, it's probably not a combination of actions I've ever tested. I'll look into it.

I reread your message, and realized that it is acting as expected. If you have instant bank switching turned on, it automatically loads a preset every time you change banks. This will dismiss the tuner, by design.

I reread your message, and realized that it is acting as expected. If you have instant bank switching turned on, it automatically loads a preset every time you change banks. This will dismiss the tuner, by design.
got it. that's good to know! any recommendations on a more stable way to kill the line output between songs without rolling off the guitar volume? i have a global set for my clean tone. thinking as i type... add a hold function to run a system mute. or will that still not work?

Yes, you could add a hold function that has Audio / Output actions that disable one or both outputs. Make sure that it has Send on Preset Change and Update on Preset Change turned off so it's not affected by preset changes.

Just a quick update... The hold function for Mute did not work. Technically the hold function worked and the LEDs indicated this however the Audio/Output off didn't kill the signal.

Just a quick update... The hold function for Mute did not work. Technically the hold function worked and the LEDs indicated this however the Audio/Output off didn't kill the signal.
Something's definitely wrong, then. Do you have a 4-cable setup? Sometimes, a parallel amp effect loop or other routing issues allow signal to bleed around the PBC even though the outputs are turned off.

If you pull the cable from the PBC output A jack, do you still get sound from your amp?

I finally got it! I don't know if a setting just wasn't updating properly when I loaded the new file or if the initial click of the button was doing something to prevent the hold from actually working despite what showed on the screen. I spent some time last night trying different configurations. Here are the settings that eventually worked...

Screen Shot 2023-02-01 at 8.05.30 AM.png Screen Shot 2023-02-01 at 8.05.54 AM.png

Back