Starting Over!

Rick

I sold my last Axe Fx unit when the pandemic pretty much did in my long term band, thinking I'd likely downsize to the new FM9. Almost sold my MMGT, but decided to hang onto it until I was sure, as I have been very happy with it these last bunch of years! I am so glad I did, because on reflection I decided that I just liked the full function and capability of the Axe FX III. And since it had been updated to the III Mk II, then the III Mk II Turbo, I decided it was a good time to sail in the FAS Flagship once again.

Of course, with the MMGT reset to factory settings for a potential sale, I thought about just reloading the last backup I had on hand to get part way home. After giving that some thought, I decided that this was a great time to get everything the way I wanted it. I'm doing the same with the Axe FX, which I did not reload with any of my old gigging presets. It's both a tremendously freeing experiment, and a bit of a "you haven't done this in years!" moment.

So, the new firmware is loaded, the new editor is on the iMac, and I have gotten as far as establishing communication and downloading name/scene names. It's switching channels, so that's a start! Wish me luck, and any insights, references to other threads or pages, or other advice is more than welcome here. :)

First brain block:

I have the tempo working for both tap and flashing display. Bi-directional comms are functional. Good start!

I also set up a global IA for the Tuner, and assigned the Tuner CC to it. It engages the tuner on the Axe Fx 3T as it should. It doesn't display on the MMGT display. I went back and searched here and saw a reference @rjmmusic made to needing the Tuner CC and a "System Action," the latter being what causes the display to show. I can't find a place to add a system action. Can someone point me in the right direction?

By the way, the progress and relearning is going slow but steady. I'm also watching the YouTube series on the Masterminds. Good stuff!

UPDATE: Read further into the manual, then into the editor, and found a place to add this function/action thing to the tuner button. Voila, we are displaying as we should be. Onward...

Last edited:
Brain Block 2:

Desired behavior:
When a preset is selected, I can select various IAs for effects, then when the same preset button is pushed again, the preset will revert to the saved version, with all effects in their default (ie: saved as) state.

I have the MMGT appearing to act as described above. But though the MMGT IA reverts to its Off state when the preset is re-selected, the block remains On in the Axe FX III-T. I'm not sure how to know if it is sending the reload to the Axe FX, or if a setting in the Axe FX isn't processing the reload command. Where should I be looking?

Axe FX settings: "Ignore Redundant PC" = OFF, "Scene Revert" (in case this matters) = ON

IMO, sure seems the AF isn’t getting the reload message, as you have the base covered with the Scene Revert = on. I assume you have the GT setting set to reload the preset when the switch is pressed a second time?

UPDATE 11/14 19:10 Central: Kept digging and found the problem was in my MMGT device settings for the Axe FX. "Send Redundant PCs" was not ON in settings (or checked in the editor). I didn't notice it in the manual settings... it's on the second page. Duh. Went round and round for hours with that...

@is9582 @rjmmusic
Thanks guys, I do appreciate your checking me on it. I went back and double checked my MIDI settings, turned them on/off for good measure, then checked again.

The AFX3 settings are here:
IMG_1487.JPG

I'm also attaching my settings. Ignore most of it, I am just starting, but use any of the presets on Page 1 and I am testing with the Drive 1 block IA because it is in all three presets. My Wah 1 preset is set to auto engage at 93.5% because I leave my Mission Aero pedal toe down when not in use. Just FYI in case you can't get it to turn off!

One oddity; I would swear that when I first started the Axe FX that it worked as expected. But I could never make it recur, even with several start/stops from off. I'm wondering if I have a conflicting setting somewhere, or if I should contact Cliff/Matt about the issue.

If anyone has time to take a peek, thank you in advance. FYI also, I did notice that the scenes do revert when you change scene to scene. But even with scenes, I don't see the preset reload when I press the preset button again to get back to the default (saved as) scene that should load with a preset reload/repressing of the currently loaded preset.

Edit: I’m on a GT/22, 4.7 firmware. Axe Fx is on 17.02

Attachments

• TestforRJM.rjs
    1.7 MB · Views: 2
Last edited:
First thing, make sure you have firmware and editor 4.7.0 installed. There is a least one bug fixed in there that's relevant.

Also, turn on IA Link on all buttons that control Axe-Fx effect blocks. Without that, they won't link to the Axe-Fx. This is something that should turn on by default when assigning buttons, but pre-4.7, it didn't do that.

I do have 4.7.0 on board and am using the current editor, but I did redefine that IA so perhaps the IA Link did not come on when I did. I'm going to test with another one just to see.

@rjmmusic Hey Ron: When I create the IA by right-clicking on the button in the editor and assign the CC that way, the IA link or other checkboxes for the preset do not automatically select. Do I need to have something set elsewhere to engage that function in 4.7?

It appears to be working now (even without the IA Link, but I am only using Its on one page so that makes sense). I'll continue on. Should I run into any other challenges, I will start another thread so you don't have to keep filtering through this one!

Last edited:
Rick, Glad to hear it is working up to this point.

@rjmmusic And good to know about the IA connection. Things to keep in mind going forward.

@rjmmusic Hey Ron: When I create the IA by right-clicking on the button in the editor and assign the CC that way, the IA link or other checkboxes for the preset do not automatically select. Do I need to have something set elsewhere to engage that function in 4.7?
It looks like that one fell through the cracks somehow, the IA Link change made it into the PBC/LT firmware, but not the GT. It'll automatically end up in 4.7.1, whenever that happens.

It looks like that one fell through the cracks somehow, the IA Link change made it into the PBC/LT firmware, but not the GT. It'll automatically end up in 4.7.1, whenever that happens.
No problem. I don’t know how you manage to keep up with all that is packed into these devices!

No problem. I don’t know how you manage to keep up with all that is packed into these devices!
I've definitely passed the point that I can't keep it all in my head at once - I only can remember the last few subsystems I've worked on and have to go back and study parts that I haven't messed with in a while. There's a lot of code in there.

I've definitely passed the point that I can't keep it all in my head at once - I only can remember the last few subsystems I've worked on and have to go back and study parts that I haven't messed with in a while. There's a lot of code in there.
Well, you’ve certainly impressed me since I came on board almost 4 years back. You do a great job, not only here but with the YouTube videos. Between RJM, Fractal Audio, and PRS Guitars I am quite spoiled by the level of service and quality in the product. You three are the gold standard, and I appreciate everything you do to make it so at RJM.

Is it IA Link ? Or CC Link ? I believe IA link is used to link multiple IA switches on the GT.

Is it IA Link ? Or CC Link ? I believe IA link is used to link multiple IA switches on the GT.

IA Link links the first action in a button's list to whatever source is relevant. Two or more buttons with the same first action will link together for sure. Incoming status changes from the Axe-Fx will find any IA Linked button that controls an Axe-Fx block and set its state based on that effect block's state.

CC Link is a different thing that operates with different rules. It's generally designed to work with apps like Ableton, so they can control buttons on the GT.

Back