Suggestions for new pedalboard with Ethos preamp

go2ldook

Trying to decide how to incorporate the Ethos Clean Fusion that I have ordered into my Mastermind PBC loop setup. Initially I assumed the Mastermind output would just go into the Ethos, just like you come out of it to a guitar amp, then the Ethos goes to the PA. My goal is to create a pedalboard that goes direct to the PA. Rob at Custom Tones recommended the Ethos before "ambient effects" which I assumes mean delay and reverb (maybe even the mod effects?).

Here is my potential set-up:
Guitar>Wah>Mastermind>Boomerang Looper>PA. As for the Mastermind, my loops are as follows:
1) Whammy pedal>Boss EQ
2) Boss Compression
3) Chase Bliss Brothers OD
4) Boss Blues Driver>Foxpedals City OD
5) Boss DS1> Boss DS2
6) Super Chili Picoso Boost
7) ???Ethos Clean Fusion>Decimator
8) Strymon Mobius Mod effects
9) Strymon Timeline Delay
10) Strymon BigSky Reverb

There is also the question of running the mod, delay and reverb effects series or parallel. I have been running them parallel before. I guess the Ethos really has no impact on that whether in the chain or not.

I am also considering buying a TC Electronics 1128 Midi Programmable EQ. Amazingly one of the few Midi capable EQ devices. I found a guitar pedal option by Free the Tone, but it is over $300, and I can score the rack mountable TC for $80. I would need to decide where to put it in the chain, but would be either after the Ethos or would be after the Mastermind. This is a rack mount EQ, but would fit hidden below the other pedals, and would allow me to program in EQ presets for different combinations of gear, like different EQ for acoustic guitar vs electric, different EQ for different pickups, etc. The big reason to put it after the Mastermind would be that I could better control some of the ways the mid effects in particular sound beyond what the Strymon pedal allows.

Anyway, issues I need to consider and would love input on:

1) Need for a DI? From what I have read the main thing here is getting a balanced signal, and some advantage if your cable run is long. Pretty much any mixer I would use has HiZ or 1/4 inch line in jacks, and cable runs are short, so this would seem to be overkill.
2) Where to put the Ethos Clean Fusion? I am a little confused why it needs to go before the Mod/Reverb/Delay. That's not where my guitar amp goes, and this essentially replaces the guitar amp with a preamp circuit and cab emulation. I could have it in Loop 7. That way I can turn it off if needed, but would I need to, and can always bypass it manually anyway. Other option would be at the end, or if before Mod/Delay/Reverb is really crucial, I could run Loop 6>Ethos>Loop 7, and save that loop. I could then put the TC Electronics 1128 EQ in loop 7, and turn it on and off if needed. Of course, that device is MIDI capable, so it could be bypassed with a MIDI command also.
3) If I buy the TC 1128 EQ, where to best put it? Loop 7? After the Mastermind/before the Boomerang?

Would help if I had the Ethos to try various configs out, but it will not be her until May.

Do you want to use the overdrive channel on the Clean Fusion, and if so, do you want to have that overdriven signal effected by your modulation, delay and reverb? If so, then I think you would need to have the Clean Fusion in a loop ahead of your mod/delay/reverb. In between loops 6 and 7 strikes me as a good spot, and that leaves you a loop for the eq.

But if you don’t want to use the overdrive in the Clean Fusion, or you’re happy to have your mod/delay/reverb overdriven when you do, then you could treat it as you would the front end of an amp. It looks like you’ve already got a fair few choices for dirt, so the overdrive in the Clean Fusion May be superfluous.

As an aside, it would be great if the Ethos preamps (I lust after an Ethos Overdrive) had an option for remote channel/boost switching, to allow using the switching jacks on the PBC. Maybe someday...

Probably will go with in between Loop 6 and 7. Was pleased when I discovered that was an option after going back to the PBC manual. RJM thought of everything.

I am bummed though...finally found size specs for the TC 1128 EQ, and it is just too big to fit within my board. The only other option with extensive MIDI program options is the expensive Free the Tone EQ. Really a shame the Empress ParaEQ does not have MIDI since they make some MIDI capable products. There are some other options out there, but much more limited as far as programmability.
Do you want to use the overdrive channel on the Clean Fusion, and if so, do you want to have that overdriven signal effected by your modulation, delay and reverb? If so, then I think you would need to have the Clean Fusion in a loop ahead of your mod/delay/reverb. In between loops 6 and 7 strikes me as a good spot, and that leaves you a loop for the eq.

But if you don’t want to use the overdrive in the Clean Fusion, or you’re happy to have your mod/delay/reverb overdriven when you do, then you could treat it as you would the front end of an amp. It looks like you’ve already got a fair few choices for dirt, so the overdrive in the Clean Fusion May be superfluous.

As an aside, it would be great if the Ethos preamps (I lust after an Ethos Overdrive) had an option for remote channel/boost switching, to allow using the switching jacks on the PBC. Maybe someday...

Source Audio make a programmable eq, which is midi capable, but you probably already know about that one. I’ve thought about that one myself, but I don’t care for the fact that it converts the whole signal to digital. That may be a stupid bias on my part, but there you go.

The FTT eq does look very nice, but I can’t stretch to that price at the moment. Personally, I’d love for Empress to do a midi capable version of their ParaEQ. Seems unlikely, but a man can dream...

Source Audio make a programmable eq, which is midi capable, but you probably already know about that one. I’ve thought about that one myself, but I don’t care for the fact that it converts the whole signal to digital. That may be a stupid bias on my part, but there you go.

The FTT eq does look very nice, but I can’t stretch to that price at the moment. Personally, I’d love for Empress to do a midi capable version of their ParaEQ. Seems unlikely, but a man can dream...

Yes, aware of that one, but I also would prefer pure analog (though, admittedly my Strymon pedals are digital). The Source Audio option also has way too few presets for the era of the smartphone. I salute their recognizing the value of programmability, but they did not take it far enough. The TC Electronics 1128 rack EQ was ahead of its time... 100ish MIDI presets and pure analog. Wish it would fit in the belly of my pedalboard, because at $90 for an old unit, that would be a no brainer (it also weighs 11 pounds though...ugh).

I am with you on the Empress, and given the fact they make a few MIDI products, it is amazing that they chose not to go that route with the ParaEQ. I am going to buck up and spend the bank on the analog with digital control MIDI EQ by Feel The Tone. This will give me 100 presets. Sure, it is overkill, but I have some play money and I am building my uber pedalboard. Wish it included parametric EQ, but can't have everything, and 10 bands gives me a lot to play with.

I do cover music and being able to pull up presets via MIDI is just amazing. Have been doing it with the Strymon pedals and my TC Nova Drive...I basically click on a song in my Setlister program on my iPad and all my needed loops on the Mastermind are selected, and the Midi pedals pull up the right preset. It. Is. Awesome. No foot dance. I am replacing the Nova Drive with the Chase Bliss Brothers OD, which sounds so much better. Adding the Feel the Tone EQ will allow me the control I ha e craved over different guitars and pickup choices. Not only can I EQ them immediately, but will be able to save gain settings to level out volume changes like I struggle with between my humbucker and neck pickup.

Back