Tap Tempo with Tempo button?

jasonmauer

I'm controlling a couple devices with the MMGT and have been experimenting with different configurations for coordinating tempo between these devices. One thing I haven't been able to figure out is how to enable Tap Tempo from the MMGT itself when it's the MIDI clock Master. I have a button setup with Flash w/Tempo and Show Tempo enabled, but tapping this button does nothing. I've gone through the available actions and found System > BPM, but it doesn't seem to have an option for tap tempo. Looked through the MMGT's MIDI Implementation chart to see if it had a CC or something for it, but didn't find anything there either.

What am I missing? Does the MMGT support Tap Tempo for its own tempo when it's the clock master?

Make sure that Update on Preset Change is also turned on. I need to fix this to make it a more obvious setting...

Works like a charm, thanks! (Once I looked, I did see the info covering this in the tooltip text for that checkbox... not the most discoverable thing, but it does work as described.)

Is the flashing of tempo on the GT supposed to be at exactly the same time as on the AxeFX III when you use a tap tempo?
I have trouble getting them to sync perfectly, they probably flash at the same rate, just at different times some times... other times they are close... is there an art to get them perfectly in sync?

Do you have it set up for bidirectional communication? (2 cables or phantom power box)? That, with update on preset change turned off on the tempo button, will be the closest you'll ever get them in sync.

I think I might have Update on Preset Change turned on. I was hoping to choose Songs and have the tempo on the Global AxeFX III update when a song is chosen even though the AFX or the GT preset might be the same preset.

Edit: removed a bit about phantom powering (got it working)

Last edited:
I think I might have Update on Preset Change turned on. I was hoping to choose Songs and have the tempo on the Global AxeFX III update when a song is chosen even though the AFX or the GT preset might be the same preset.

Edit: removed a bit about phantom powering (got it working)

Update on Preset Change doesn't control how the tempo is sent, but it does control how it's displayed. I haven't tried it, but I'm reasonably sure that you can have clock set to master, and update on preset change turned off. The GT will send the tempo to the Axe-Fx, but will flash the button based on the flash messages coming back from the Axe-Fx. (And the flash messages should be based on the GT-provided tempo)

When I turn off "Update on Preset Change" my GT Tempo button stops flashing, the AxeFX does still change tempo with the GT song though.

Make sure the Send Realtime Sysex is turned on in the Axe-Fx's MIDI settings. This also requires a bidirectional connection between the two, which I assume you already have.

Yep I've got Send Realtime Sysex on for the AxeFX III and I have bidirectional midi working (can change Preset on either GT or AxeFX).
I've tried "Calculate tempo from flashes" on and off, I've tried "Poll State" on and off.
"Flash with Tempo" is on, it's a Global button, and "Show Tempo" is on, nothing else ticked on that button.

I don't know why it wouldn't be working, then. Please send me your settings file and I'll try it here.

Ok thanks! File attached.

Edit: You'll probably notice I've got Midi Start/Stop commands on a few things like Preset actions and Song Up/Down to try and sync the flashes when "Update with Preset Change" is on.

Attachments

• XR18AxeFXtempoTest.rjs
    1.8 MB · Views: 2
Last edited:
Hi Ron, was firmware update 4.5.1 supposed to fix the issue I'm having? (i.e. Fixed Auto setting for MIDI clock - it wasn't working when receiving clock over USB)
I can get the Tempo flash from the AxeFX III now but I have to have midi clock on the GT set to Off and the AxeFX doesn't respond to Song tempos.
With the GT midi clock on Auto, Master or Slave the tempo flashes don't work with "Update on Preset Change" off.
I am using the Midi DIN connections too, not the USB.

Hi Ron, was firmware update 4.5.1 supposed to fix the issue I'm having? (i.e. Fixed Auto setting for MIDI clock - it wasn't working when receiving clock over USB)
I can get the Tempo flash from the AxeFX III now but I have to have midi clock on the GT set to Off and the AxeFX doesn't respond to Song tempos.
With the GT midi clock on Auto, Master or Slave the tempo flashes don't work with "Update on Preset Change" off.
I am using the Midi DIN connections too, not the USB.

No, it wasn't intended to fix that issue. I will try to look at this for the next release, I already am pretty much committed to a 4.5.2.

It looks like the Axe-Fx won't send tempo flashes to external devices when MIDI clock is incoming. The only way to get it working is for them to change that. Otherwise, you have to go back to using Update on Preset Change and live with the flashes out of phase with each other.

Last edited:
Back