Tap Tempo

ayjsh

Is it possible to program one of the buttons in Instant Access mode, to control tap tempo?

Thanks,
M

Depends on your effect processor. With the G Major 2, you can - simply assign the IA switch to whichever CC# the processor is set to respond to Tap Tempo on... and ignore the "on" light!

You can program the Function button to be a tap tempo button, or you can use IA mode to make one of the numbered (1 through 5) buttons act as tap tempo.

Note that some processors require momentary CC messages (one message when you press the button, one when you release it). This is not supported on the Mastermind right now, but is on the list for the next Mastermind update, which is finally getting to the top of my to-do list.

As Boss recommend the FS5U, which is a momentary switch, I'd presume you'd have to wait for the update for that to work. If you're not using the expression pedal socket on the Mastermind, with a very small soldering job you can make up a lead which will enable you to plug a momentary switch into it and use that for tap tempo - details in this thread.

rjmmusic said:
You can program the Function button to be a tap tempo button, or you can use IA mode to make one of the numbered (1 through 5) buttons act as tap tempo.

Note that some processors require momentary CC messages (one message when you press the button, one when you release it). This is not supported on the Mastermind right now, but is on the list for the next Mastermind update, which is finally getting to the top of my to-do list.

Please explain how to program the Function button to be a tap tempo button. I am trying to control Ax-Fx ultra.

I tried to figure out myself, but so far no luck.

Thanks,
gaku

I responded to your email yesterday, but I'll post it here for posterity:

The Function button is programmed separately for each preset on the Mastermind. To program:

1). Select the desired bank and preset number on the Mastermind
2). Hold down the 1 button and press the 3 button to enter setup mode
3). Press the Function button repeatedly until the display reads Func (Function)
4). Press the 5/ MIDI Ch button to adjust the MIDI channel to be the same as the Axe-Fx's MIDI channel
5). Press the 2/ Program / CC Number button repeatedly to select the desired CC number. (You can pick pretty much any number, for example 10).
6). Press 1, then 3 to exit setup

On the Axe-Fx, you need to link controller number 10 to control tap tempo. I don't know how to do this specifically, but the Axe manual should tell you what you need to know.

That should do it. Please let me know how it goes! If you want to set this up for more than one preset, you'll have to repeat steps 1-6 for the other presets.

Cool. I've been wanting to do this with my G-Major 2. Instructions for Mastermind should be the same. Just need to set the Tap-Tempo CC on my G-Major to the same thing as on the Mastermind.

Thanks for the tutorial, Ron.

Yes, it should work on the G-Major as well. The important thing is that the Mastermind and effects processor agree on which CC number is being used.

It's even easier with the G Major 2 because you can just set it to "learn" which CC# is being used. Saves fiddling around on the menus.

Ah, very cool. I've never used a G-Major, so I didn't know about that. You should still set the "Func" parameter on the Mastermind to something other than the default. The default command is a MIDI bank select, which might confuse the G-Major. The lowest CC number that is completely undefined by the MIDI spec (and is therefore free for us to use) is 003.

Back