The Conversion is Complete

Micah

I started this journey using a floor based multi-effects processor that ended up being discontinued a year after I bought it (thanks, Digitech). I play in an instrumental math rock/prog group, the occasional cover band that does charity shows, and a couple of worship bands.

After doing some pretty serious Internet research and stalking of some of my favourite players, I realised that I could conceivably convert to an analogue pedal based system and utilise digital control. Up to this point I had never used midi or expression pedals. There was definitely a learning curve, but I feel like I have arrived at something that's essentially bullet-proof and produces tones that I like consistently. It only took a year to acquire everything and learn how to assemble and program. The learning curve had to do with getting used to using individual pedals again and learning to build tone pallets.

The system is based around a Mesa mark V with pedals from earthquaker devices. There are pedals in front and in the effects loop. The whole system is powered by a Furhman 600PR, uses a Decimater ProRack noise suppressant, and can run multiple cabs or silent via the Palmer speaker emulator/load box.

So my signal goes guitar->PolyTune->Mission active volume->RMC-8 Wah with EQ->Rack Gizmo->Decimator loop one->Mark V->Effects Gizmo->Decimator loop two->Mark V->Palmer speaker emulator->cabinets or board. What I love about this is I do next to zero set up and the tones from my cabs are identical to what I get playing silent with my in ear monitors. Pretty sure my wife loves that last part more.

The Mesa and the front of amp pedals are controlled by a Rack Gizmo, with the pedals living below the Gizmo in a shelf with their Voodoo PP2.

IMG_9855.JPG

I was going to show a picture of the back, but after seeing the posts from Nice Rack Canada I am ashamed. It isn't a rats nest, but it isn't pretty like theirs either.

IMG_9854.JPG
(Don't mind that 110 reading in the Furman. It is cold and rainy here and I was running a heater off the rig.)

The pre amp signal chain starts on the bottom left and ends with the EQ: EQD Grand Orbiter (phaser/vibe set to phase with 'wow' sound)->EQD Warden (compressor)->Klon KTR (slight dirty clean boost)->EQD Fuzz Master General (super fun and set to option three for ring mod tones)->EQD Cloven Hoof (fuzz that is strong like bull)->EQD Palisades (their version of a tricked out TS)->EQD Talons (general distortion)->Boss EQ. The Boss does ok but I have to remember to turn it on manually while all the others just stay in a single state. It is going to be replaced with an EQD Tone Job at some point.

IMG_9861.JPG

For the effects loop, I use the Effects Gizmo and the signal comes from the Mark V, runs through the pedals, out to the Decimator, and back to the Mark V. While there is room in the rack below, I am maxed out on power because of the Timeline and I use the higher voltage setting on the Depths.

IMG_9858.JPG

Signal chain is EQD Organizer (polyphonic organ emulator-SO many uses)->EQD Depths (optical vibe)->EQD Sea Machine (chorus)->EQD Afterneath (crazy reverb thing)->Strymon Timeline->EQD Dispatch Master (reverb/delay).

On the floor is pretty simple and that is by design. As stated previously, the signal is guitar->PolyTune->Mission active volume->RMC-8 Wah with EQ->Rack. I just added the Mission SP-1-RJM and love the functionality it brings. It is programmed to the Timeline expression pedal function and the button activates the infinity option on the Timeline, which I call Buzz Lightyear. Everything gets power from MMGT22 and the GT gets power from the midi cable.

I programmed the MMGT22 to match the functions of the Mark V down to the colours of the channels, which are globals, and functions. I have five pages: Create for noodling, Showtime for presets and essential function quick access, Delayland for the Timeline and some collaborative pedals, Looper for that function of the Timeline, and Utilities for all function access. Preset second press is programmed for a global pad that uses the delays and the organizer, which comes in handy for worship settings and background work.

IMG_9864.JPG

So that's the rig. Hope you enjoyed the tour. It has been a great experience working with RJM and their gear, but I am glad to be out of hardware mode and back to performing mode.

Last edited:
Back