The GT: Amazing but...

kenficara

So, I've had my new GT for a few days and have been setting it up to work with my various devices. I can easily see "never being able to go back" after using this for a while. However, it seems to have some issues, and there are some things I may be misunderstanding. So here's a list of questions....

• Is there any way to change the default color assignment for preset and bank change pedals? No matter what I set it to when editing the buttons, they remain purple. I can change the IA color, but not the standard color.
  • The system button action for Page # does not seem to work at all. If I assign this to a button, pressing the button does nothing. I had assumed it would take me directly to the designated button page.
  • How are the preset buttons assigned? If I choose a button type of "preset," I can see no way to tell it which preset to choose. The preset buttons on any given page seem to all function as a group, and show the presets in the order created.
  • Given the above, is it possible to change the ordering of presets? In other words, make what is now preset 001 preset 005?
  • Alternative to above (or in addition): You can copy buttons, so what about copying button pages, or presets?
  • Is it possible to send more than one type of CC message for a single expression pedal? I expected the pedal settings to be like button actions, where you can assign more than one at a time, but so far I have only been able to have a given pedal send messages on one CC, which is rarely useful. For instance, on a TimeFactor, I want to control the A and B delay times together, or on an EHX 2880 I want to control two or four faders at a time. This is possible with many controllers (eg, the Moog MP201), but can it be done with the GT?
  • Why are pedal groupings global, rather than per preset?
  • No slash character on the "keyboard"? No left/right arrows?
  • I see system controls for the panel brightness and button display contrast, but not for button display brightness. This is so colorful and so bright that it will be a serious distraction in the kind of small-room shows I do. I need to be able to turn the button brightness down very low, or it will be all people see on stage.
  • Device setup: very limited selection (no EHX, no Moog, no Strymon) and when I set up the one device I own that's listed (Eventide Timefactor), "Assign Buttons" brought up an entirely blank screen. Is there going to be a way to share device settings and presets with other GT owners?
  • Setup UI improvements: (1) A "test button" button, so when you are editing a button, you can try it out without having to exit out of the editing screens. (2) Remember last button page used; copying a button on page 5 to an adjacent slot requires me to page forward through the buttons ten times, five to copy and five to paste.

Lastly, I've had the GT lock up on me entirely several times, usually after making and testing settings. No buttons respond, no messages are sent, and I have to unplug it to get it started again.

Sorry to start off with a litany of complaints, but the good news is that I'm excited about it and using it pretty intensively, so I hope to understand it better and learn more about it. Thank you!!!

Ken

Hi Ken,

I think it's going to take a while to answer all of those issues, but I do appreciate the feedback and will work on all of them.

Let's start with the easy ones:

- Preset buttons are assigned top to bottom, left to right. So, if your currently selected bank has you starting on preset 12, the GT looks for preset buttons starting in the upper left. It scans to the left, then moves to the next row down. Following this pattern, the first preset button that's found gets preset 12, the next is preset 13, etc. If you want to rearrange the order of presets, you might want to look at song mode.

- Copying pages and presets is a good idea and will be on the to do list.

- The overall expression pedal grouping method is global at this time. Can you give me an example of how a local version of the setting would be used?

- Device support is a work in progress for sure. Not only is it time consuming, but we typically have to have the device in here for testing. We want to have a wide range of support, but it's going to take a while. I think the best course of action is to start a thread here and let people vote on the devices that should be done first.

- The Eventide pedals are difficult in that they don't have hardcoded CC numbers. That said, there shouldn't be any Assign Buttons button displayed when selecting that device. I'm thinking what I might do is make up my own set of CC numbers for Assign Buttons, and then you'll need to use the Learn function on the Eventide to get it in sync with the GT.

- Lock ups - there is a known lock up issue involving the USB drive. If you weren't using the USB drive around the time of the lockup, please let me know and we'll try to chase it down.

More answers as I have a chance to look into things....

One more - once the editor is done, sharing presets, device settings, etc. will be easy.

kenficara said:
  • The system button action for Page # does not seem to work at all. If I assign this to a button, pressing the button does nothing. I had assumed it would take me directly to the designated button page.
    Ken

• Does Ken's report above mean that it's not possible to assign a single button on one page to instantly flip the GT to another page?

If a GT is configured to control an Axe FXII, can one of the buttons on the "Axe page" instantly flip the GT to a "Marshall page", and switch an Effects Gizmo to route the guitar's signal to the amp and its rack of pedals? And the "Marshall page" configured with a button to instantly switch things back to the Axe?

If not possible now, will it be?

TIA

Each preset on the GT can switch to any of the 16 pages. To do this, you select a preset, then use the Page/Store button to switch to the desired page. Then, press and hold the Page/Store button to store the selected page to the preset.

There is also a way to make an IA button switch pages, and this is what Ken's referring to. It should work, but he says it isn't working for him. I will be looking into this in the next day or two and will fix whatever needs fixing.

Back