Transitioning to Mainstage 3 and BIAS System

Micah

Hi All,

I have conducted a search before posting this, but the only relevant responses involved MainStage from 2016. So here is the situation.

I current use a GT22 with a rack based switching system for analogue pedals and my Mesa V head. The signal chain is Guitar->tuner->Mission active volume->RMC8 Wah->Rack Gizmo for non-FX loop pedals->Mesa. I also have the Mission dual function foot controller going through the GT22. A Switch Gizmo is in the FX loop for all the mod and time pedals. This works great for bigger shows and practices with bands where I can stay set up for more than two weeks at a time. However, it is no longer practical for home practice, idea recording, and smaller one off gigs. As such I am working to replace my outdated smaller home rig (digitech iPad based controller, no longer supported by them or apple) with a MacBook Pro software and MIDI based system.

I program based on song/setlist and each song has several presets. I rarely switch on individual fx pedals unless I am freeform jamming or building new presets. I think this is how MainStage functions in its operation so the programing transition/learning curve should be relatively simple.

I have settled on MainStage 3 with the BIAS 2 Platinum software bundle (FX, Amp, and Pedal) based on the ability to component level design sound and the obvious aspects of MainStage. My preference is to use the GT22 but in the event I don't have that option I am considering the Behringer FD1010. What I am not clear on is if I can effectively use MIDI to use the GT22 to control MainStage as intended by the program and/or use it to control BIAS FX as a standalone. The intended signal path is as follows: Guitar->tuner->Mission active volume->RMC8 Wah (optional)->SSL 2+ audio interface->MbPro USB in/out->>SSL 2+ MIDI->>GT22 and SSL 2+ audio interface->>PA in stereo.

So my questions are:

1. Is it possible for GT22 to effectively pull triple duty (rack rig, MainStage rig, BIAS FX2 standalone for sound building and jamming)? I had thought I would just need to upload a different program based on my use need at the time.

2. Would there be any loss of functionality for GT22 in this set up? Could I still use the Mission expression pedal with footswitch function?

3. If this will work, will I need to make some changes for power and MIDI inputs? Current power for GT22 coming from the Gizmo cable.

4. I can't quite tell if standard MIDI can plug in and control the GT22. Will the cable that works on standard audio interface (SSL 2+) work to control and or power the GT22?

I appreciate any guidance you could provide as I am a severe MIDI novice outside of the basic switching and expression pedal programing I have done with my existing system. However, I see the potential to incorporate much more functionality with the computer based set up including triggering samples, tone generators, and synth functions. I am hoping the GT22 can be at the center of that. Thanks, Micah.

The GT can control MainStage just like it can control anything else. More setup is required than with a typical effect - you have to program both the MainStage and GT sides - but, since both are quite flexible, you can get it to do a lot.

There's no loss of functionality, you can continue to use all GT features.

You will have to change how you power it. You can connect to any MIDI interface using a 5-pin MIDI cable, but none will provide phantom power to the GT. The easiest way is simply to power the GT with its own supply.

Thanks for the quick reply and working on a Sunday. Quite helpful. One follow up, can the GT be programmed to control the BIAS FX2 standalone app outside of the Mainstage environment? I see it has MIDI functionality but I have not seen anyone talking about using a GT with it. Thanks for the info!

BIAS FX's MIDI capability is kind of limited, as far as I can tell. You can get it to respond to program changes just fine, but that's about it. To be fair, I haven't used in in 6 or more months, but last time I tried, it was frustrating because you could only send CCs to toggle an effect. It wasn't possible to turn an effect on or off specifically, you can just change from its current state to the other. Very limiting. I sent them some unsolicited advice about that, not sure if they paid any attention.

It seems like you do need to use automation to link BIAS FX to another app that has better MIDI capabilities.

Back