Triggering the GT with a Livid Instruments Guitar Wing

luca9583

Hi Ron

I was wondering if it would be possible (either at present or with a future firmware update) to trigger the GT's expression pedal and external switch functions (or just IAs in general) with the Guitar Wing by Livid Instruments:

http://lividinstruments.com/products/guitar-wing/

The sliders and large circular pads send Midi Note messages to trigger effects on/off and CC data to control effects, but i was wondering if the GT could respond to these messages and then map them to perform more tasks (eg turn a Gizmo loop on/off, Axe FX effect on/off simultaneously) on several midi channels? Or perhaps the Wing could simply trigger IAs and expression messages already programmed in the GT?

The Wing needs a USB to Midi host to get it to talk to outboard midi gear (stompboxes, rack gear etc) and i was also wondering if either of the GT's USB ports could do this?

The GuitarWing has potential but its MIDI capabilities need to be expanded.
Currently it doesn't offer enough support for CC values.
I believe they are working on that.
That would make translation/conversion by the GT unnecessary.

BTW, the Kensington MIDI USB Host works well with the GW.

Yes, I have one.
IMO the GW isn't designed to work with another controller (GT) inbetween.
Because it's already a controller by itself.

Alexander said:
Yes, I have one.
IMO the GW isn't designed to work with another controller (GT) inbetween.
Because it's already a controller by itself.

Yes i was thinking the same thing...i was hoping that the limited midi support in the GW could be expanded by using it with another controller.

You could possibly use it to send program changes to the GT, triggering messages, but that's about it for now. There isn't currently any way to control individual buttons on the GT via MIDI, but is probably something that will happen in the future.

In any event, you'll need some kind of USB host adapter to convert to a normal MIDI port (does this thing really exist? Couldn't find anything other than a couple of very brief mentions on the web). The GT can't currently act as a USB host for MIDI devices.

Hi Ron

Is the above now possible with the new GT Firmware? Would i be able to trigger IA functions in the GT with the Guitar Wing (via a USB host)?

If so, is there a way to do this on the GT 10 where the IA "buttons" being triggered are not actually visible in a given bank, but are there underneath the presets? Or would this only work if i actually have IA enabled as a button type?

I've never used the Guitar Wing, but using CC Link, you should be able to have it control individual buttons, assuming that it can send CC messages. Check out the "External MIDI Control" section of the manual for more info about CC Link.

I've never used the Guitar Wing, but using CC Link, you should be able to have it control individual buttons, assuming that it can send CC messages. Check out the "External MIDI Control" section of the manual for more info about CC Link.

Ok great..yes the Wing can send CC messages. Is there a way to setup extra "virtual" IA buttons in addition to the physical buttons on the unit?

Back