"Unable to connect to device" MacOS Ventura/M1

Piplodocus

Hello!

I get "Unable to connect to device" when I try to connect to the Editor. Any ideas?

Info/History:

* Got the LT quite a few years back. Used it fine with my old Intel MacBook on High Sierra (couldn't put any newer version of MacOS on cuz it's old). Worked fine.

* When I got this 16" MacBook Pro M1 Max (running Monterey OS) last year I thought it connected the very first time. But then wouldn't ever again the next 2 days, so just went back to using the old MacBook. Figured maybe I imagined it but it wasn't urgent as the old laptop was about. Haven't edited or changed any pages in ages so hadn't tried the M1 since or done any FW updates to the LT. LT was on FW 4.6.0 back then.

* Had installed Ventura a few days ago. Just tried again yesterday as I needed to do some bigger page edits. FYI: Ventura security says confirm to allow USB devices first time I plugged it in via either the thunderbolt dock, USB A mini-hub, or genuine Apple USB-C to A adapter, but then remembers since (my audio iterface and thunderbolt dock asked first time too after the Ventura update). In the "System information" the USB3.1 bus shows MasterMind LT there. But editor still says unable to connect.

* I got out the old laptop out yesterday and still works, did updates fine off that for the meantime.

* Editor on this M1 was 4.7.0, LT was still 4.6.0, so I figured (as I know my RME audio interface needed a FW update to use new DriverKit drivers too), I'd update FW + editor too. So I just flashed the LT to 4.9.1 via USB stick (old laptop wouldn't do it from editor so I presume it's because it's a pre-2019 LT. Updated to editor 4.9.1. Still no joy.

* Tried this using the same USB A cable that works on the old intel laptop. Tried via USB-A to C hub and the Apple USB C->A adapter. As noted it "sees it" in system info on the bus, but Editor says "unable to connect to device".

* In the LT editor if I go in preferences both MM Only are ticked.

* If I go in Mac Audio MIDI settings I can see the "Mastermind LT (USB)" lights up when plugged in so it "sees it" there. I can't remember if I renamed all the devices in there to proper names or they're auto detected. But it's called the same on the old intel Mac in Audio MIDI and that works.

Any clues or troubleshooting tips?

What‽ Now it's just connected and I haven't done anything different! Oh well, I guess I'll just hope it keeps working.

If it's urgent and doesn't again I can always use the old one if I'm stuck.

Just thought I’d follow up on this in case anyone follows this in future. Since I’ve been doing more programming a load recently on it, I’d just say it’s been good as gold and connected fine every time, so if there was an intermittent bug either Apple or RJM fixed it.

Back