USB B bi-directional MIDI?

So, if I'm connecting an Android Tablet for instance using the Bandhelper App, do I still need to use an interface like the Roland UM One MK2, or will the GT now act as the host/interface?

I'm not sure about Android tablets, from what I've heard, not all of them support MIDI over USB. If you connect the GT to the tablet, see if it shows up as an available MIDI device in the app. If it does, you're in luck. If it doesn't you'll need a MIDI interface that works with your tablet.

Okay, thanks. My Samsung Galaxy Tab A should support MIDI over USB (for those having any issues try switching to developer mode (search youtube how to do it) go to settings - developer options - disable USB audio routing). That way I can eliminate a Midi Merge Box and Roland UM One MK2 from the configuration. This is hopefully what I can get to work.

MIDI USB B RJM GT.png

In the meantime, if anyone else can confirm orotherwise if their Android Device works bi-directionally over USB it wiould be good to know.

I'm expecting delivery of my GT16 next week, and will let you know how it all goes. Excellent news in Bi-directional MIDI over USB B too btw!

Last edited:
Yes, please let us know how it goes. I've only tested with iOS devices (and they do work). I have only one Android tablet here, but it's pretty cheap and doesn't support USB MIDI.

All USB MIDI connections are bidirectional as far as I know, there's no reason for them not to be. Hopefully one day everyone will switch to USB MIDI, it's a lot better than MIDI circa 1983. I keep taking steps to work toward that goal.

Will do! in the meantime considering that hopefully the USB MIDI will work for me with the Samsung Tablet, I've been working on the best options now for my stage setup having a remote rack and midi devices on stage - I don't need any of the rack devices to send MIDI instructions, so the MIDI out from the GT16 is fine.

Although I a have the Phantom power unit at my disposal, I'm stuck powering other devices on stage (Tablet via a Lavasync unit, and a TC Voicelive Touch 2), so this is what I've come up with so far - the tiny power transformer seems to be an excellent solution considering my CIOKS Power supply offers 24V to 12V 2A conversion a dedicated 5V USB power outlet as well as switchable 9,12 &18V options.

At this point I have a single power lead and a 5 pin MIDI cable going from the Remote Rack to the Stage. For the stage cabling, I have 1 x MIDI cable, 1 x USB C to USB C cable and a 12V power supply cable to the Voicelive 2.

I can now use my GT16 to operate Bandhelper App (both ways) on my Android Tablet, the Voicelive Touch2, My DMX Light show (ia the ENTTEC USB Pro MK2, my Source Audio C4 synth, and my Kemper Profiler.

GT16 Config.png

Last edited:
Back