USB C cable for MEGX unit

Tonto

I need a 2 metre USB C cable to connect my iPad (4th gen) to my MEGX unit.

I have short USB C cable which is working fine, but I need a longer cable when unit is in my rig.

I bought a UGREEN cable which says "data sync" in spec ( https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B0B27G1BZ9/ref=pe_27063361_485629781_TE_item ) but it does not work: no green light on MEGX unit when I connect to iPad.

Appreciate if anyone can recommend a a 2 metre cable that definitely works. Does cable have to be an expensive "Thunderbolt" spec cable ?

Thanks for any replies

Have you tested the cable with other gear? You'd be surprised how many problems have been traced to brand new cables that are faulty.

I have 2 of these UGREEN USB C cable - exactly the same model. I swapped them. Performance was the same - no green light on MEGX unit. Both UGREEN cables are working correctly as a charging cable for an other device.

I am now wondering if the USB C cable needs to be a high spec (expensive!) thunderbolt cable to do data sync with the MEGX unit ?

It shouldn't need to be a Thunderbolt cable - we don't use any high speed USB C features.

It's strange that it would work fine with one cable and not several others. I'm running out of ideas, but have you tried the other cable orientation - flipping the connector on the MEGX side around 180 degrees and plugging it in again? It shouldn't matter which orientation is used, but it's worth checking.

More detective work on USB C cable fault:

1. The short cable (supplied with Samsung T5 + T7 SSD drives) I have that works with MEGX unit is a thunderbolt cable.

2. I have tried turning the USB C connectors around by 180 degrees, all 4 possible combinations - no difference, no green light.

3. I tried another UGREEN USB C charging cable (cable described as for charging only) -> this supplies power to MEGX (green light on), but app does not detect MEGX unit, no editing of settings possible.

4. I used a Belkin USB C Thunderbolt 3 cable which has been working faultlessly with my UAD x6 interface for several years. No green light on MEGX, no unit detected by app.

While researching on internet I found this on a forum:
-----------------------
This situation is a total and complete mess. Here is my understanding...someone else can chime in to build upon or correct me as you practically need an advanced degree in USB these days to understand what the hell is going on.

To get the 10 Gbps in your situation, you need one that is a USB-C-->USB-C cable supporting the USB 3.2 Gen 2 protocol, formerly known as USB 3.1 Gen 2, also informally known as USB SuperSpeed+ and also sometimes called USB 10 Gbps. In terms of availability, there are tons of braided cables but not many that are certified. I tend to prefer certified because we've seen seedy cables do a helluva lot of damage to devices and I stick to a few makers that tend to certify their products consistently. Here is an Anker product, for example, which will support 10 Gbps transfer speeds, and is certified. It also happens to support 100 watt charging so you could also use it as a charge cable. It is a very robust cable and it is thick, but not braided.

Amazon Basics has a lot of high-quality and certified USB-C cables...this braided USB-C cable is built to USB 3.2 gen 2 spec, braided, but not certified. I would imagine it is a very good cable though. Unlike the Anker, it is not something you would want to use to charge a MBP, but it would work fine to power a hard drive.

Finally, passive USB-C-compatible Thunderbolt 3 cables will work as well, although you may have inconsistent results with achieving the 10 Gbps on longer passive TB3 cables (the USB 3.2 gen 2 spec technically maxes at 3.3 feet). I am using this 6.6 foot Thunderbolt 3 cable to power a 4K display--users seem to get consistent 10 Gbps from both the 6 and 3 foot versions and I have gotten 10 Gbps from it. (You can NOT use an active TB3 cable though.)
--------------------------

This Anker "Gen2" cable from Amazon might work. But I am loathed to waste £18 on another dud cable....

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Anker-Powe...nd+more+type-c+devices/laptops,aps,130&sr=8-6

Any RJM forum members out there who are successfully using 3 - 6 ft USB C cable to connect an iPad to MEGX unit for app editing, please let me know.

Unfortunately, the ones I use all the time are no longer available on Amazon. I have some Anker cables on the way and I'll test them shortly.

Great - once we have cable (brand+model number) which we know definitely work we will solved problem!

I have tested the Anker cable. Still not working. Pretty disappointed.

Attachments

• DSCF2681 (1).jpeg
    DSCF2681 (1).jpeg
    72 KB · Views: 8
  • DSCF2683 (1).jpeg
    DSCF2683 (1).jpeg
    44.2 KB · Views: 8
  • DSCF2682 (1).jpeg
    DSCF2682 (1).jpeg
    41.6 KB · Views: 8
Back