USING STEREO EFFECTS

Thank you very much. I have overlooked that.
I am redoing my Home Studio and thinking of putting my pedals and the PBC10 into rack drawers instead of having them on a pedalboard. I do everything with MIDI Program Changes. So I don't need really a Pedalboard controlled by my feet. I was thinking of replacing the PBC10 with the effect gizmo, but to my surprise there is no editor available for the effect gizmo rack device. Why is that? Another option would be maybe to have two mini effect gizmos, because I need at least about 7 mono and 3 stereo loops, but I like the form factor of the effect gizmo more. And I wonder what would be the most elegant solution to add a display to either the effect gizmo or the mini effect gizmo. One approach for me could be to let either device send a MIDI Program Change to my Yamaha Motif Rack every time when I change a preset. So then I would have some presets on the Motif which would be named identical as the presets which I am recalling on the Mastermind device, but I wonder if there is a more elegant solution. I don't know how other people think about it and the effect gizmo might be a great device with a fair price, but I don't like to program a device which has neither a display nor an editor. And I like it very much when the PBC10 or PCB6 shows my the name of the respective current preset. Just my personal opinion. (In the moment my PCB6 is not connected because let's just say sometimes less is more.) ;-)

I am redoing my Home Studio and thinking of putting my pedals and the PBC10 into rack drawers instead of having them on a pedalboard. I do everything with MIDI Program Changes. So I don't need really a Pedalboard controlled by my feet. I was thinking of replacing the PBC10 with the effect gizmo, but to my surprise there is no editor available for the effect gizmo rack device. Why is that? Another option would be maybe to have two mini effect gizmos, because I need at least about 7 mono and 3 stereo loops, but I like the form factor of the effect gizmo more. And I wonder what would be the most elegant solution to add a display to either the effect gizmo or the mini effect gizmo. One approach for me could be to let either device send a MIDI Program Change to my Yamaha Motif Rack every time when I change a preset. So then I would have some presets on the Motif which would be named identical as the presets which I am recalling on the Mastermind device, but I wonder if there is a more elegant solution. I don't know how other people think about it and the effect gizmo might be a great device with a fair price, but I don't like to program a device which has neither a display nor an editor. And I like it very much when the PBC10 or PCB6 shows my the name of the respective current preset. Just my personal opinion. (In the moment my PCB6 is not connected because let's just say sometimes less is more.) ;-)
The Effect Gizmo is a much simpler product, designed years before the Mastermind series. And, in the typical way we see the Effect Gizmo being used, the player doesn't even see it when playing, unlike the Mastermind.

Input 1 is not a stereo input on its own, and while there are two inputs, they are not meant to be used for a stereo signal. Per the manual: "[Input 2] is a secondary unbuffered input for an additional instrument or alternate guitar signal."

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news!
Can the rjmmusic Admin confirm that? It is a little bit absurd because in my case I have a PBC10 which until now always has been strictly mono and than I have begun to use the PBC6 for Stereo Loops, but I always thought that the two inputs of the PBC6 could be used as global stereo inputs. I think stereo loops in switchers are an endless source of confusion ;-)

I haven't made a decision yet if I will try to use in the future the PBC10 for mono and stereo loops or only the PBC6 for stereo loops. So you have already helped me with the settings for the PBC10 stereo loops. How would it be with the PBC6 with the same pedals. I guess the cables are the same as in the case of the PBC10.
So I would use Loop 4 and 5 for two Quantum Time Modulator Pedals. These Pedals have one Mono Input Jack (which is strictly Mono) and one Output Jack which can send a Stereo Signal when using the right TRS Cable. In Loop 6 I want to use the EHX Stereo Talking Machine which also has one strictly Mono Input Jack and two Output Jacks in order to send a Stereo Signal out.
We had it before: First in the chain is the Quad Cortex which is sending a Stereo Signal to the PBC6 via Inputs 1 and 2. Can I really send a Stereo Signal to the PBC6 or is the second input just a kind of alternative input for example for a second guitar or something like that. Because in that case there is no need to worry about loosing the original stereo signal while using mono inputs on stereo pedals because they never get a real stereo signal, right?

Can the rjmmusic Admin confirm that? It is a little bit absurd because in my case I have a PBC10 which until now always has been strictly mono and than I have begun to use the PBC6 for Stereo Loops, but I always thought that the two inputs of the PBC6 could be used as global stereo inputs. I think stereo loops in switchers are an endless source of confusion ;-)
The inputs and loops 1-3 are mono on the PBC/6X, they can't be configured for stereo.

I haven't made a decision yet if I will try to use in the future the PBC10 for mono and stereo loops or only the PBC6 for stereo loops. So you have already helped me with the settings for the PBC10 stereo loops. How would it be with the PBC6 with the same pedals. I guess the cables are the same as in the case of the PBC10.
So I would use Loop 4 and 5 for two Quantum Time Modulator Pedals. These Pedals have one Mono Input Jack (which is strictly Mono) and one Output Jack which can send a Stereo Signal when using the right TRS Cable. In Loop 6 I want to use the EHX Stereo Talking Machine which also has one strictly Mono Input Jack and two Output Jacks in order to send a Stereo Signal out.
We had it before: First in the chain is the Quad Cortex which is sending a Stereo Signal to the PBC6 via Inputs 1 and 2. Can I really send a Stereo Signal to the PBC6 or is the second input just a kind of alternative input for example for a second guitar or something like that. Because in that case there is no need to worry about loosing the original stereo signal while using mono inputs on stereo pedals because they never get a real stereo signal, right?
The PBC/6X has more flexible configuration options. When setting up with a PBC/6X, you tell it whether each send and return is mono or stereo. It does all the necessary mono to stereo conversion internally. You wouldn't need to use ring disconnect cables anymore, only TS, TRS or insert cables as appropriate.

Using multiple pedals with a mono input and stereo output is problematic, because you can only get the stereo signal out of one of them at any given time. With a PBC/10, you can get around this by switching the loops to parallel. The PBC/6X does not do parallel routing on its own, but you can add a Micro Line Mixer to get parallel routing.

As I mentioned above, the inputs can't be used as a stereo pair. Since the first 3 loops are all mono, it wouldn't make sense to have stereo inputs.

The PBC/6X has more flexible configuration options. When setting up with a PBC/6X, you tell it whether each send and return is mono or stereo. It does all the necessary mono to stereo conversion internally. You wouldn't need to use ring disconnect cables anymore, only TS, TRS or insert cables as appropriate.

Using multiple pedals with a mono input and stereo output is problematic, because you can only get the stereo signal out of one of them at any given time. With a PBC/10, you can get around this by switching the loops to parallel. The PBC/6X does not do parallel routing on its own, but you can add a Micro Line Mixer to get parallel routing.

As I mentioned above, the inputs can't be used as a stereo pair. Since the first 3 loops are all mono, it wouldn't make sense to have stereo inputs.
Thank you very much for your advice. I am probably going to run the PBC6 in a Stereo Loop of the H90. I guess this will allow me to do the trick of running the Mono and Stereo Loops of the PBC6 also in parallel if I want to. Thank you. For the future I would like to see from RJM one day a rack device like the effect gizmo, but with a display which is as good or even better than the displays of the PBC6+10, matrix routing like for example the Switchblade devices or Morningstar ML10X and of course with a Desktop Editor.

A very good morning,

I have been using a PBC 10 with a MEGX as an extension: I took advantage of the loop reordering capability of this last unit to be able to use modulation/time based effect pedals before the drive pedals and the preamp, as well as in the effect loop of the amp (see MEGX wiring diagram on page 22 of its manual), on a preset base.
The MEGX input is wired to the OUT 1-4 of the PBC 10, the MEGX loop dedicated to S/R has the send connected to the IN 5-6 of the PBC (where two more drive pedals are) and the return to the PBC loop 7 send. Finally, the MEGX output is wired to the PBC loop 7 return.
Everything is currently mono and I'm using an Eventide H9, a Strymon Mobius and Volante (in 3 MEGX loops) as pre or post gain, depending on the presets.

I wished to rewire the rig in stereo, without loosing the possibility of putting modulation/time based effects before the gain. My understanding is that I could wire the MEGX S/R loop in mono and the loops of Mobius, H9 and Volante in stereo (with insert cables): if I put any of these ones before a drive pedal (mono) in the remaining loops, as well as before the S/R loop, only the left side of the signal will be sent, good enough for the purpose... Is that correct?

On a related note: when downgrading the whole rig to mono (at the PBC 10 output level, using a single amp from output A), beside loosing half of the ping pong delay repeats, how would you describe the result on modulation and reverb?

Thanks!

Yes, if you put a stereo pedal in front of a mono pedal, the mono pedal will get the left (tip) side of the signal from the preceding stereo pedal. There won't be any other significant differences aside from losing any stereo separation. modulation and reverb are going to sound a little flatter compared to stereo.

Back