2 amp set up question

eljodon

Is there a way to be to switch between 2 amp's effect loops using one rack effect so when I switch between heads the rack effect will switch between amps? I'm using a Metro Head master the switches 2 amps with one 4 x 12 cab with a foot switch they will be activated with a MIDI amp switcher from Voodoo Labs. Thanks

There are a few things I'd consider before going that route:

- Do you already have a switching system of some sort? To switch between the two amps, you'll need one.
- Does your rack effect have stereo ins and outs? Or does it have multiple inputs and outputs? If so, you might not need to switch at all
- If the answer to the above two items is "no", would it be less expensive to buy a second rack effect than a switching system?

If you give me some more details, I can come up with some more concrete answers.

Hi, thanks for your reply and sorry it took me long to get back.

I do have a amp switcher, is a Metro Master Mind. It switches between 2 amps and one cab. The basic set up is you plug the guitar in the input of the switcher and you plug 2 outs into each amp input, then the amp speaker outs into the switcher and a speaker out into a cab or dummy load.
My apologies, I should've given you a detailed description of my system.

I'm using an Effects Gizmo that's controlled with a Fractal Audio MFC101.I have various pedals in Loop 1 through 8. On loop 11 and 12 I'm using a Hush 2C and a Boss GE10 eq which is used for either the effects loop of and amp or when I'm using a dummy load( with a volume knob) the out of the dummy load goes into a buffer box then into the Hush 2C and the Boss GE10 eq then the out of the eq goes into Loop 9 in. The out/NO of the Effect Gizmo goes into the return of a guitar head(it changes depending on what amp I want to use) then into a 4 x 12 cab. Then from the Send 9/NC of the Effects Gizmo goes into another buffer then to my Axe Fx 2( just for time base effects) then to a Mesa Boogie 2 90 or a Matrix GT1000fx. then to 2 Marshall 1960b cabs. I just recently purchased the RJM mini line mixer which I'll set up when I get the chance.

I want to use the Head Master with this system so I can switch between 2 heads. The Head Master uses a foot switch to switch between amps, but instead of the foot switch I'll be using a Voodoo Labs control switcher.

Sometimes I use a amp using the effects loop running the Hush 2C, boss GE10 eq and the Axe Fx and a attenuator into a 4 x 12 cab. With the Head Master I would like to be able use 2 heads and to switch all the stuff I'm running through the effects loop between each amp's effects loops. The Head Master mutes the amp that's not being used and also runs the speaker out into load. So with the effects Gizmo can I wire it in a way that it will switch the Hush,eq and Axe Fx 2 between effects loops?

The Axe FX has 4 ins and out and I've seen people wired it with 2 amps. but since I'm also using the Hush and the eq, I don't think it will work. Sorry about the confusing post! Thanks

You can use the Effect Gizmo to switch effects between the amps' loops, but it can be tricky - you will likely have some ground loops that you'll need to solve, and you'll also have to make sure that the two amps' effects loops run at the same level. I've attached a diagram that shows how it could be connected.

Attachments

• EG_4Pedals_Share4FX_2Amps.pdf
    461.6 KB · Views: 468
I might not have as much issues with ground loops since I'm doing the switching with the Metro Head Master, all I need is to switch an EQ and a Hush 2 C between 2 amps, I like to eq the signal between preamp and power amp so I can adjust my sound to the room. I use the line output of my attenuator which goes into my Axe Fx then into the RJM mini mixer then into a power amp.

It worked! I had to modify the diagram since I have an EQ on loop 12 and the Hush in Loop 11. So I used Loop 9 and 10. I'm using a Friedman HBE/BE and a Suhr PT100. I use one buffer for the send on the PT100. Now while using my Fractal MFC100 I can switch between 2 amps via the Metro Head Master and their effects loops through the Effects Gizmo, also I can switch channels on the PT100.
I'm using an Aracom attenuator which has 2 channels so I can boost the volume for leads with a pedal which I can control with the Voodoo Labs Control Switch(which also controls the Channel switching and Amp switching). The Aracom Attenuator has line level out(with hi pass filter on or off) so from there I go into a Countryman DI box then into a re amp box then to the Axe FX 2. the reason I'm using the DI box and the reamp box is because I need ground switch and a phase switch between the attenuator line level out and the Axe Fx because without I get a loud squeal.
The Axe Fx 2 out goes into the RJM mixer then into a Mesa Bogie 2 90.. So the amps are plugged into one cab via the Head Master for the dry sound into a Marshall cab and a stereo Marshall cab is powered by the Mesa Boogie for wet sound.
It was a bit tough figuring out how to use the MFC101 to do all the switching, but it works great!

Thank you for your help! RJM has a great support team and I wish many companies would do the same!!!

Glad to hear it's all working! It's always tricky setting stuff like this up for the first time, but once you get through the setup part, it's so much fun to play with the result!

Back