7 pin midi cable Patch build – need help

crackers

Hi, can I please ask for some assistance,
Firstly I love my Effect Gizmo, awesome product
I am making a back patch panel for my rack and I need to make a short 7 pin midi cable to connect to my Effect Gizmo. I have some good 8 core cable (with a copper shield) and some Nutrick connectors.
My question is regarding the pin out’s and do I use the copper shield for a pin or the ground or the power pin or nothing. I do believe the pinouts are equal at both ends of the midi cable, i.e. pin1 to 1, 2 - 2 , 3 –3 ...........

I apologize if this has been covered in another part of this forum, and if so can someone point in the correct direction?

Thanks for any help

Craig

The cable is pretty simple - just wire each of the 7 pins from one connector to the same pin on the other.

EDIT 8/10/2014: To connect pin 2 (the one that's halfway around the "C" shape the pins make), you should use the bare shield wire. Use the normal insulated wires for the other pins. The connector's shield should be unconnected on both ends. This is correct according to the MIDI standard.

Cool, thanks, to easy, except those midi connectors look small and tricky to solder. I’m surprised it’s not a more popular topic. I just wanted to make sure as I kept reading shield to pin 2 on normal 5 pin midi.

it gets easier the more times you do solder din plugs, but they are a bit of a pain in comparison to 1/4 jack plus lol

True dat. After that experience, you'll never find a jack connector tricky to solder again (unless it's a pancake jack - total PITA!). I hate soldering DIN connectors with a passion. 5-pin XLRs are bad enough.

lol, I stupidly thought, when I purchased the parts for my patch cable, it would be a good idea to get enough cable and connectors to make a backup 7 pin midi cable, as I only have one. WHY???? Why do I think it would be easy??????

yeah they are a pain, some din plugs are worse than others

I have found the neutrik ones have hollow terminals which are slightly easier as you can slot the cable in and fill with solder

the ones with solid terminals are a bit more tricky

Ha, I can sympathize. You can't even imagine how many DIN connectors have been soldered here. :)

I am no expert on soldering, but eager to learn, what are people’s advice on soldering small connections, i.e. a powerful soldering iron with a small tip? To use some type of paste to make solder stick better? Anything else?

Not too powerful - I use a 25W iron which is fine for most things. I don't even change tip for DIN connectors - I have a needle tip for circuit boards but I can use a standard tip for connectors. It's about being quick and accurate, not putting too much solder on, but ensuring both the lead and the connector are tinned with a small amount of solder, then just heating it up, quickly joining the two together and pulling the iron away quickly.

Back