All MIDI Control with the GT

tom gutermuth

Hi,
I have a conceptual problem I'm trying to solve. I play in a Pink Floyd Tribute band and recently discovered the power of MIDI (still quite new to it). We want to control the guitar amp (Kemper), the light show and sound clips and video sequences from the GT16 while I'm on stage playing.

I got my MasterMind GT16 yesterday and must admit that I'm a bit overwhelmed. I know that I can achieve what I want with this fine piece of machinery but I could use a little help setting off in the right direction.

The components I like to get to work with each other are
- GT16
- Kemper Profiler Amp (the GT is supposed to replace the Kemper Foot Controller)
- Luminair (DMX controller on iPad)
- 2 instances of iMix 16. (A soundboard running on 2 iPads to trigger loops and sounds like planes, bombs, waves, clips like "If you don't eat your meat you cant have any pudding...")
- MIDI hub (Will probably have to buy one)
- in Phase 2 I want to change sounds on the digital drums and the keyboards and change settings on the XAir18 mixer (increase reverb or turn it off...)

Until today the Kemper sent a Midi signal to Luminair on an iPad when I changed the sounds. Usually we want to change the lights when the guitar goes from rhythm to solo and back. A bit crude but beats the other options when you don't have someone sitting in the audience pressing buttons for you. To trigger the sound clips on iMix I had a dedicated MIDI switch (Basilisk). For phase 1 of this project the GT will control the sounds on the Kemper, trigger the sequences of the light show and trigger the sound clips on 2 iPads simultaneously (one goes to the FOH the other one feeds 2 speakers in the rear of the room for surround effect). We also want to add additional light effects that come in without switching sounds on the Kemper. So in my perfect world I would switch to a bank (=song?) on the GT and have all the buttons I need in the order I need them. Take "Another Brick in the Wall Part2" (We don't need no education) as an example:
Switch to the correct bank and as soon as I hit
Button#1:
1) The Kemper switches to the rhythm sound
2) The light show plays the appropriate sequence
When it comes to "Hey Teacher, leave the kids alone" I hit
Button#2
1) The light show throws one white flash (no change on the Kemper)
Repeat in the 2nd verse. When it comes to the solo I hit
Button#3
1) Kemper changes to solo sound
2) Light show runs a different sequence
3) iMix plays the sound school children running in a school yard
Towards the end I hit
Button#4
1) iMix plays "If you don eat your meat, you can't have any pudding..."
2) Light show changes to a sequence that gradually darkens
Then I go to the next bank (song) and all the buttons have a different meaning according to the next song.

I got the GT to control the Kemper with a few exceptions (morphing, looper and infinity hold on delay don't work with MIDI). I love that I can sync the displays and the song titles. I know how to execute multiple commands with one push of a button. But now the question is: How can I have a different set of buttons for every song?

Before I go down a rats hole I was wondering if someone (who had the patience to read all this and the attached diagram) could also come up with a conceptual suggestion how to approach this? And if not, can you tell me what NOT to do?

Oh, and one more thing, We do have different set lists depending of the size of the venue and the time we have to play. Not only does that shorten or increase the number of songs we play but also changes the order.

Thanks for your help,
tom

Attachments

• MIDI Control.pdf
    324.5 KB · Views: 6
Last edited:
Local button pages will allow you to have a different page of buttons for each preset. In the editor's Presets tab, select a preset, then check the Edit Local Buttons checkbox. Edit the buttons right there on the Presets tab - any changes made there will only apply to the current preset. You can have one local button page per preset, and global pages 1-15 in the buttons tab will also be accessible in each preset. (The local button page takes the place of page 16).

Set list changes are no problem - the GT allows you to create 64 different setlists.

It works! This is even better than I thought because now I will only see the presets that belong to a certain part of the song. And I can change the setlist almost on the fly. The GT has really been growing on me over the last few days.

Thanks for taking the time to respond,
tom

Back