Basic Midi Wiring Configuration

Gordon

I have a PBC10 with a Strymon Timeline as my only midi-capable effect, although it's not currently wired for midi. I'm considering adding a few of the Jackson Audio/Chase Bliss pedals with TRS midi capability, and finally taking the plunge into midi. I've seen that there are a number of resources demonstrating how to use the PBC with midi once everything is plugged in, but very little on how to actually wire a pedalboard for midi.

So, some basic questions:
1. Do I go Timeline midi out -> PBC midi in, or vice versa?
2. How do I wire everything including the TRS midi pedals? Assuming I need something like the Chase Bliss Midibox, would the 5-pin connections go Timeline midi out -> Midibox midi in -> Midibox midi thru -> PBC midi in?
3. How would I wire multiple standard midi connections, like a Timeline and Big Sky? Would I need some other midi junction box?

I'm obviously new to midi, so please feel free to dumb it all down as painfully you like. Thanks!

No problem. The PBC's MIDI output needs to be first because it's the MIDI controller. This connects to the MIDI input if your first MIDI device. The MIDI Out of the first MIDI device connects to the MIDI In of the next MIDI device. Continue creating a chain like that, from one device to the next. To connect the 1/4-inch MIDI pedals, you will need to get a MIDIBox. Connect it to the MIDI Out of your last standard MIDI device, then connect the 1/4-inch connections to your pedals using TRS cables.

Just a couple more questions regarding where midi pedals sit in the signal chain when they don't have a designated loop. Is this customizable? Sorry, still wrapping my head around midi setup.

For example, let's say I have my Timeline and a Chase Bliss Dark World reverb (TRS midi). My assumption is that these would be connected via midi as outlined above. I would also have to connect them in series with audio patch cables even though they're not connected via audio to a loop, correct? Do all midi pedals require an audio cable connection?

So, for the signal chain, can I program these midi pedals so that they come before loop 10 in the PBC? Can I program them in/out of the effects loop?

Thanks again!

MIDI connections and audio connections are independent of each other. You can connect just the audio connections .You'll get audio, but you won't be able to control the pedal. If you connect MIDI but not audio, you'll be able to control the pedal but won't get any sound out of it.

MIDI capable pedals don't have to be in a PBC loop, but they have to be connected to your audio path somehow. Typically, this is after the PBC's output, or in one of the insert points (between loops 4 and 5, or between loops 6 and 7). The only way to get your pedals to be right before loop 10. is to put all of them in loop 9. (Loop 9 send to Timeline In, Timeline out to Dark World in, Dark World Out to Loop 9 return)

Back