BOOST PEDAL in the Effect Gizmo Rack or MEGX loop on a WET/DRY Rig?

EVHGuy1111

I am a bit confused.
I know where to put a BOOST pedal for solo volume boost without adding pre-amp gain on a mono rig... it goes in the effects loop (usually the last in the chain).

But where do I put the BOOST pedal on a WET/DRY rig to boost both amps equally during a solo boost? And if I am using an Effect Gizmo or MEGX does this add to the complexity when running Four-Cable-Method for a WET/DRY rig?

Put the pedal after the effect loop send, before you split the signal to the wet amp (assuming that's where you're splitting the signal)

Adding a switcher always adds at least some complexity.

Put the pedal after the effect loop send, before you split the signal to the wet amp (assuming that's where you're splitting the signal)

Adding a switcher always adds at least some complexity.
I am not splitting the signal. I am slaving the WET amp from the DRY amp's "Pre-amp out" jack... I am also NOT returning my time-based effects (chorus, delay, reverb) to the Loop Switcher... I am sending them out to a Line Mixer then from there going to the WET amp (to achieve trails).

Does this change your advice?

And when you advise...
Put the pedal after the effect loop send
Do you mean that's the port of the Loop Switcher I should immediately follow the BOOST pedal with?

Thanks

I am not splitting the signal. I am slaving the WET amp from the DRY amp's "Pre-amp out" jack...

Does this change your advice? And when you advise...

Do you mean that's the port of the Loop Switcher I should immediately follow the BOOST pedal with?

Thanks

Is this preamp out jack part of an effect loop on the amp? Or is it something separate from that?

If it's part of an effect loop, you would have to connect the preamp out (aka effect loop send) to the boost pedal, then split the boost pedal's output, where one side goes to the wet amp and the other side goes back to the effect loop return.

If the preamp out jack is not part of an effect loop, then you'll need two boost pedals, one for the amp's effect loop and one for the send to the wet amp.

Is this preamp out jack part of an effect loop on the amp? Or is it something separate from that?

If it's part of an effect loop, you would have to connect the preamp out (aka effect loop send) to the boost pedal, then split the boost pedal's output, where one side goes to the wet amp and the other side goes back to the effect loop return.

If the preamp out jack is not part of an effect loop, then you'll need two boost pedals, one for the amp's effect loop and one for the send to the wet amp.
In both of these cases it sounds like the pedals are independent of my loop switcher... yes?

I have all my pedals (save my wah) in my rack on the backline and none on my board, controlled by my MMLT... so the BOOSTS need to be in my loop switcher so they can be controlled by the LT...

In both of these cases it sounds like the pedals are independent of my loop switcher... yes?

I have all my pedals (save my wah) in my rack on the backline and none on my board, controlled by my MMLT... so the BOOSTS need to be in my loop switcher so they can be controlled by the LT...
They could be in a switcher loop, no problem there.

If the preamp out jack is not part of an effect loop...
How would I know? Would the manual tell me?

It's an EVH 515OIII 5Ow 6L6... Here is some information on it but it doesn't seem to tell if the Pre-amp out is connected to the Loop...

1.png

Effect loop send and preamp out are two separate jacks, so that's all we need to know. You would need two boost pedals, one for each of those outputs, if you wanted to boost both signal paths. You could put them in switcher loops. The other option is to ignore the preamp out and use the loop send, run it through a boost pedal (and switcher if needed), then split that output to go to the effect loop return and the wet amp.

Does the above routing look right for what I'm trying to achieve?
That's not going to work because switching loop 5 off will turn off the boost pedal and it'll turn off the signal that goes to the amp's loop return. You'll lose your dry signal when the boost pedal is turned off.

You'll need one loop to switch the boost pedal, then another one after that to send to the amp's loop return. You could look into using split mono loops to get another loop out of the MEGX. I would recommend splitting loop 4, with one side going to the amp's input and send, and the other side going to the boost pedal. Don't split the loop that you'll use to go to the amp's return - doing so will cause problems.

Mini Effect Gizmo X - Stereo and Split Mono Connections

Back