Boss GT10 > MAG > Peavey XXL

I own a Boss GT-10 and use 3 MAG’s each one dedicated for use with a Mesa Nomad, Mesa F50, and a Peavey 3120.

My question today is:
I just got a used Peavey XXL solid state 3 channel amp head; and was hoping to use the MAG pgmd for the PV3120 along with the JSX/XXX interface cable.
I just unplugged the MAG from the PV3120 and into the XXL, and the Boss GT-10 still changes channels on the MAG, but the XXL doesn’t recognize them. (There is a slightly audible click or pop coming through the speaker on the channel changes).

Do I need to re-initialize the MAG and reprogram it while connected to the XXL ???

BTW, I checked the standard XXL FtSw, and it changes the channels just fine. I also plugged the JSX/XXX cable back into the PV3120, and the PV3120 still recognizes the MAG and changes channels fine.

Hmm, I thought that the XXL used the XXX footswitch, but maybe not... Does the actual 3120 footswitch work on the XXL?

Test Results:

The PV OEM 3120 FtSw+Cable does NOT operate the PV XXL head at all.

Just for kicks, I tried the PV OEM XXL FtSw in the 3120 and only the FX Loop button functions to change Ch2 to Ch3 and back.

Later, I reset the MAG to Momentary (3 grouped) by plugging in whilst holding down #7 (as suggested for the PV 5150II). This didn't work either.

Looking forward to your help.

Okay, I'm going to have to dig up footswitch information on the XXL. Peavey has a lot of similar (but not similar enough!) footswitches - the XXX, 6505+ and the old Ultra series all have similar but incompatible footswitches. I just need to figure which one the XXL uses (or if it's another incompatible design).

I will get the info as soon as I can!

I bought this Solid State Amp for practices so I don't burn up my costly tubes leaving amps on for hours at a time. In other words I'm not in a time crunch or gig critical situation.

I guess it is odd that I appear to be the only one thats ever tried a MAG with a PV XXL?

Thanks again !!!

From the Peavey forum:
Here are the pin configurations of the DIN connectors on Peavey amplifiers.
On the 7 pin connector (looking from the solder side on the connector) the pins are numbered starting at top right (one o'clock position).

5150 II

Pin 1. +17VDC supply to pedal
Pin 2. not used
Pin 3 Ground this pin to detect the footswitch.
Pin 4 Ground
Pin 5 Activates the crunch function of the clean channel when grounded.
Pin 6 Turns the EFX loop on when grounded
Pin 7 Selects between the clean and lead channels( Lead when grounded).

Triple XXX/JSX

Pin 1. +17VDC supply to pedal
Pin 2. not used
Pin 3. Ground this pin to detect footswitch
Pin 4. Ground/Common
Pin 5. Clean/Bypass
Pin 6. Ultra/Crunch
Pin 7. Effects

Ultra Plus/Ultra 60/Ultra 120

Pin 1. Bypass/Clean LED on footswitch
Pin 2. Reverb Led
Pin 3. Ultra/Crunch LED on footswitch
Pin 4. Ground/Common
Pin 5. Clean/Bypass
Pin 6. Reverb
Pin 7. Ultra/Crunch

XXL

Pin 1. Bypass/Clean
Pin 2. Reverb Led
Pin 3. Ground this pin to detect the footswitch
Pin 4. Ground/Common
Pin 5. Leds (not used)
Pin 6. Effects Loop
Pin 7. Ultra/Crunch

Hope that helps guys.

Thanks Martin!

Stratman, if you want to send the JSX cable in, we can swap it for a XXL cable.

I love my PV 3120 (XXX) and hope to keep it for as long as my aging body can lift it.... LOL

I'll gladly purchase a new Amp Interface Cable modified for the XXL...!

Please let me know how you'd like to handle this. I can email you guys privately, if this means a "special order" or something.

Best Regards,
Scott

I just put the XXL cable up for sale in our shopping cart system. We can typically get a custom cable done in around a week.

Thanks!

Got the new XXL cable and it has a couple of issues:

MAG button1 activates XXL Amp ch.3
MAG button2 activates XXL Amp ch.1
MAG button3 activates XXL Amp ch.1
MAG button5 activates XXL FX Loop, but it's inverted which was easily fixed by doing the "invert" procedure.

So, as you can see, the layout is not quite right, and more importantly I don't get Amp ch.2

Hopefully, it's just a matter of checking the mapping or the cable build?
Regards,

If the loop is inverted, all of the switches may be inverted. Please try inverting all switches and see if it fixes the problem...

Hello,
I've tried to test this through all the possibilities. But, I have this feeling that I'm missing one? I'm thinking that 3 buttons with 2 options should yield 3 squared, or 9 outcomes, but yet I have 8.

Hopefully your engineering guys can school me.

*** <#> = MAG Button Inverted ***

MAG Button: 1 2 3
XXL Amp Ch: 3 1 1

MAG Button: <1> 2 3
XXL Amp Ch: 1 3 3

MAG Button: 1 <2> 3

MAG Button: 1 2 <3>

MAG Button: 1 <2> <3>

MAG Button: <1> 2 <3>

MAG Button: <1> <2> 3

MAG Button: <1> <2> <3>

Thanks!

8 is the correct number of options. Instead of 3 squared, it's actually 2 cubed: two choices (on/off) * two choices * two choices

It seems like only switch #1 is actually doing anything. I have to wonder if the information is incorrect (or - horrors - we built the cable incorrectly.)

Would it be possible for you to open up your footswitch and take some close up pictures of the guts? That would help us sort this out.

It keeps saying that the files are too big, so I sent 4 pictures to your general address...

support@rjmmusic.....

with

"Stratman2003 Forum Thread: Boss GT10 > MAG > Peavey XXL"

In the subject line

I haven't heard anything since last Monday, so I'm asking that you please confirm that you are in reciept of my pictures and if so, are they enough to help with this issue.

Thanks

I sent a response through our help desk system last week, but I guess it didn't make it to you for some reason. This is what I sent:

Okay, looks like I'll either need to see the other side of the circuit board, or if you have an ohmmeter, we can take some measurements and figure out the rest of the wiring. (Or, you could send the footswitch to me and I can figure it out).

I didn't get that message, my work spam filter probably prevented it...

I will take an "underside" set of pic's tonight and send it via same as the last time.

Thanks!

Back