Calibrating Fractal EV-2?

greiswig

Hi, all,

Moving from a Mission pedal to an EV-2 to try to reduce my stage footprint and rig weight a bit. I can't seem to get this to calibrate properly. Where the Mission pedal has a smooth, seemingly linear taper (according to the "Calibrate" graphic on the GT16), the EV-2 fills virtually 75% of that same graphic after only about 10-20% of the travel.

This is whether or not I've adjusted the X and Y tapers or not. The EV-2 resistance, though, shows a 90k pot with a linear taper. The Mission is a 10k pot also with probably a linear taper.

Has anyone gotten an EV-2 to work properly? If so, any pointers?

Last edited:
Hi,
I think you have to switch polarity of the EV-2. The easiest way to do this is to switch tip and ring cables on the TRS-jack (or open the cable and switch the wires). I have two EV-1's connected to the MM GT16 and had to do this to make it work. I found the info on this somewhere on the Forum (a good guess would be that it was written by Ron or Alexander).

Edit; see also Forum Sticky Thread "Expression Pedals"

Last edited:
Thank you, Knut. Wouldn’t changing the polarity cause the taper to reverse...going from high to low resistance? If so, that is not the issue. The pedal goes from low resistance at heel down to high at toe down. This is measured from tip to ring, anyway.

I really don't know what actually changes when swapping the wires but it works. Please see the Expression Pedals thread on this forum. As mentioned I have two EV-1's and they acted very strange with normal wiring but work perfectly with wires swapped:). I guess you just have to try it and see if it solves your issue. I actually have an EV-2 as well and can test it with and without TRS with tip and ring swapped. Hopefully I will be able to do that during this evening (Central European Time (Norway). I am sure there are other Forum members using EV-2 with the MM GT10/16/22 as well so maybe they can chime in.

Thank you. I’ll give that a try and report back if it would be helpful to add the EV-2 to that page.

Confirmed. Reversing tip and ring fixed the issue. Thank you!

That was not what I would have expected, either, based on the display on the GT. The display and my ohm meter showed increased resistance on toe-down, which would not ordinarily have lead me to reversing those two leads. So...trust the instructions!

Last edited:
Sorry for the dumb question but does this only need to be done on one end or on both ends?
One end only. Doing so on both ends would put it back the way it was, just with differently-colored wires. ;-)

I chose to rewire the jack in the EV-2, since I don't want to worry about which TRS cable I'm using, and will only be using this pedal with the GT16.

One end only. Doing so on both ends would put it back the way it was, just with differently-colored wires. ;-)

I chose to rewire the jack in the EV-2, since I don't want to worry about which TRS cable I'm using, and will only be using this pedal with the GT16.
Thanks for the response. Makes sense. Was it easy to change in the EV2?

Thanks for the response. Makes sense. Was it easy to change in the EV2?
Sorry....late gig last night. Yes, it’s pretty easy if you have soldering skills and don’t mind working on a through-hole PCB. But you should be aware that it might void Fractal’s warranty.

Back