Click and pop when NOT using the mini line mixer

boof

I am having a little bit of a problem I am hoping someone can help with.

Current set up:
I have been using the line out of two amps to go into loops 7 and 8 on an RG-16. The send of both of those loops goes into two of the input pairs on a mini line mixer. The output of the line mixer goes into a g-force that then goes into a 2:90 into wet cabs. No problems. I am now select if I want amp A to feed the G-force, Amp B to feed the g-force or both amps.

Changes made:
I am trying to slim things down and changing stuff to make it jsut a one amp W/D/W set up. I have removed the Amp B from the picture all together. Loop 8 is no longer in use.
Hence I no longer have the need for the line mixer in this situation. (Intention is to allocate it to a differnt purpose that I also ahve a question on but that is for another day)
I have remvoe the mini line mixer altogether and now the line out from Amp A goes to the input of loop 7. the send of loop 7 goes directly into the g-force and then into the 2:90 into wet cabs. It works fine except. Now I get a click /pop sound when turning loop 7 on/off from an instant access switch on the rocktron AA. where I dont get the click/pop when running into the mini line mixer.

In advance thanks
Boof.

*updated info
I checked the following and only when adjusting the G-force output level did it make a difference (G-force input and output levels are generaly kept straight up around "noon"
(PT-100)
Level change: no effect on pop/click level
Return change: no effect on pop/Click level
CAE Line out box level: no effect on pop/click
G-force output level: YES. increased output=increased pop/click level.

Pics below to help illustrate
Current: (no Click/pop)
current.gif

New (Click/pop)
newf.gif

Some TC products like the G-Force are notorious for leaking some DC current from their outputs. This makes a click or pop when in a switcher loop.

The Line Mixer is removing that DC and fixing the problem. You might want to contact TC - they might be able to suggest a fix (they publish a fix for the same problem in the SCF pedal). Otherwise, you'll need to insert something like a buffer, clean boost - or the line mixer - to fix the problem.

Thanks Thats what I was afraid of....
Since my original post I did try to run it into the clicl stopper on an effect gizmo I have in another rack and that also did take care of the problem.
I am thinking to upgrade to a rack gizmo as well so I assume that by running the loop 7 (will be 8 when I rewire everything) into the CS on a rack gizmo would also fix this.

One of the back lights on teh G-force is out as well and I have been meaning tgo send it in to get that fixed Might also be a good time to ask them about the DC leakage and see if they can address that at teh same time.

I have a few of those T1M mini buffers around as well Ill try putting one of those in there and see if that also makes a difference like you suggested.

On a side note, I mentioned that I think Ill be getting a rack gizmo in any event here soon, for cables from the foot controller to the XLR is there a seperate charge for that? can we have them made to a specific leagth? Maybe I should just email you about that stuff... thanks

JB

add note: indeed putting a T1M buffer in front of the g-force fixed it as well...

Yes, the 6-pin XLR cables are extra. We can make them to any length and with a variety of connectors to go on the other side (5 or 7 pin DIN, or various XLRs for CAE/Axess/Mark L products)

good to know. Ill contact you seperatly on the rack gizmo stuff. Also might be looking to have a couple cables for the 8 pin din for the function switch cables made if possible that go to a patch panel.
D Friedman had this to offer on the g-force as well, (I cross posted the original thread at rig-talk) and Mike fortin (seriously, can that can make a mean amp or what?) and Dave Friedman gave some feedback.
"All g force's do this. You fix it with a special cable that has a cap and 2 resistors in it. I put it in a speaker sized end. So the cap is in series and there is a resistor to ground on either side. In your case a 10k resistors and a 10uf cap"

Yeah, while you can fit a resistor inside a standard Neutrik type jack, you'd never fit a cap in there as well. You'd need to put an NYS225 jack on the end to fit it all in.

Yeah, you'd probably need to put that into a little Hammond box or something of that nature.

10 days later and Im still trying to get TC to even understand what the issue is.......they say they cant reproduce it and want me to send them my RJMs as well.... My gut feeling is telling me that they will still come back not able to reproduce it and ask me to send them my rocktron all access... then the power supplies.... then the midi cables... then the whole rack... sucks. might just give up have them send it back. well at least I have some options for addressing the issue via making a cable, using a buffer, of perhaps the CS... Anyways thats where it is at right now. (can you tell im getting a little on the negative side of things?) But thanks again for the advice. Between you and Martin, Mike, and Dave that issue was identified in no time at all and alternative solutions made available.

Wow, I can't believe TC claims they don't know about the problem. Everyone who's built a switching rig using a G-Force knows about the problem! :roll:

The cable sounds like the easiest way to fix it, and if it's Dave's suggested fix, it should do the job nicely.

Back