Click Stopper - Do you use it or not?

Hi,

I'm in the process of building a rig around 3 mini effect gizmos, and wondering how others are liking the click stopper? Do you find they are useful/necessary?

I've only briefly used the MEGs while planning my rig, but I noticed that if I switch a loop while sustaining a note or chord, the interruption of the signal with the click stopper is very apparent, and more noticeable than the click from the relay. Not sure if that's the case if I switch on multiple loops at once, or at what point the click becomes worse than the muting of signal. I still want to experiment more before settling on a decision, though was wondering what other users thought about using the click stopper technology, particularly when switching loops while the guitar is sustaining?

Lastly, is the buffer that is engaged when connected tot he Click Stopper output, the same type/quality as the input buffer? I'm not sure about the final design of my rig, though if I decide to rack my pedals I would have to run a long cable out to my wah at the front of the stage from the output of the first MEG, back to the second MEG. Will the click stopper's buffer be sufficient to prevent much signal loss from this run of cable, or might a dedicated buffer work better? What's the best solution for running cabling out to the wah and back (maximum 25 foot of cable to the wah and back so 50 ft total)

Thanks!

Hello, hopefully we'll get some people to chime in with their experiences, but it definitely varies from customer to customer. Some really need to get rid of the click, some prefer the click over the gap the Click Stopper causes.

FYI, the Click Stopper's buffer is the same as the input buffer.

I've used the CS input on mine since day one and haven't noticed any issues, clicking/popping/gaps, etc. It's seemed smooth to me.

A good buffer (which the MEG has) should certainly sustain (at least) a 25ft length of cable. I would consider picking up a small buffer and putting after your wah though just to be sure you've got a strong signal. You don't really need a lot there, and, honestly, might be fine without it. It depends on the wah more than anything - vintage wahs will eat up signal like no other.

There's a company (whose name alludes me at the moment) that makes a rack-mount wah with tons of configuration options via a PC/Mac editor. If you're like me, you love the sound of your own wah and have chosen to keep it on your board, but, from what I've heard, rack-mount options sound great. I think Dunlop makes a Crybaby rackmount as well. That would eliminate the need for you to run 50' of cable (and that's expensive and heavy, especially if you're using good cabling), and just control it via an expression pedal.

Found it: http://www.prostage.eu/guitar-effects/midi-rack-wah.html

It also will function as a volume pedal, so you can configure your setup to use it as an additional volume, or just use the wah functions.

Going to be using an Effect Gizmo instead of the MEGs. Is the Click Stopper (In and Out) a separate buffer circuit from the Dedicated Buffer? I am going to use the dedicated Buffer at the start of Loop 2 for a Wah Pedal (20' out and back). I plan on inserting the Click Stopper after Loop 8. Does the Click Stopper have it's own buffer, or is it somehow connected to the dedicated buffer?

Back