Confirm MIDI Clock

kirkbowman

Is there a way to confirm the Mastermind LT is sending MIDI clock through the MIDI Out port to my Mac?

I am not seeing any MIDI clock signals from the Mastermind LT in MIDI Monitor. The Mastermind LT is connected to my computer using a USB cable (for power only) and iConnectivity mio for MIDI In and Out.

https://www.iconnectivity.com/products/midi/mio

I created new settings using MasterMind Editor 4.1.

1. Chose File > New.
2. Chose Transfer > Write Settings to Device.
3. On the Global tab, set Current Set List to Setlist 1.
4. On the Songs tab, assigned Preset 1 to Song 1, P2 to S2, P3 to S3, P4 to S4.
5. On the Songs tab, set Tempo for Song 1 to 60, S2 to 70, S3 to 80, S4 to 90.
6. On the Set Lists tab, assigned Songs 1-4 to Set List 1.
7. On the MIDI tab, set MIDI Clock to Master.
8. Chose Transfer > Write Changes to Device.

Next I conducted the following "test" using the Mastermind LT.

1. Clear any existing MIDI messages in MIDI Monitor.
2. Press Bank Up (6) on the Mastermind LT. Song 2, Preset 2 is selected.
3. There is no MIDI clock or tempo information sent to MIDI Monitor.

What should I do to troubleshoot?

Are you seeing the program changes when you select presets? If not, something isn't set up correctly in the monitor or the MIDI interface isn't working.

You said MIDI Out port, so I'm assuming that you have the LT connected with some MIDI interface. If you're trying to use USB only, the LT doesn't send clock over USB at this time.

The midi interface is the iConnectivity Mio interface (MIDI In/Out to USB).

If the MIDI Port for Device 1 is set to USB, there are events in MIDI Monitor.

If it is changed to MIDI Out, there are no events in MIDI Monitor.

I am trying to use MIDI Clock as a work-around for another issue,

If I map a CC to tap tempo, it sends the CC when changing presets in the middle of a song. Is there a way around it?

If there are no events at all, either the LT's USB port isn't working, or the Mio isn't working.

On your tap tempo button, turn off Send on Preset Change, that will prevent it from sending its CC except when you actually press it.

First, thanks for your responses. It helped troubleshoot the problem.

It turns out the In/Out on the Mio were labeled backwards. (The In was actually the Out and visa versa.) Once, I swapped the cables, I was able to see MIDI clock in MIDI Monitor.

Second, thanks for the reminder about the "Send on Preset Change" setting. One reason I love Mastermind is the flexibility.

OK, I have MIDI clock working. I had to figure out how to send the MIDI clock start command. I setup a button using the System / BPM command.

Is there a way to send the MIDI clock start command when a song is selected using Bank Up/Down or when the preset for a song is selected?

There's a checkbox in MIDI settings "Send start/stop messages". If you turn that on, it will send a start message whenever the clock is activated and it will send a stop when it's deactivated.

I am using the "Send start/stop messages" setting. I have found I need a separate switch with the System/BPM command to start/stop the clock. Is it possible to start/stop when a song or preset is selected? I tried using a Preset Action but it did not work.

You can set a song or preset's tempo to Off to turn off the clock, and to any other value to turn it on. Please note that the current preset's tempo has precedence unless you set the preset tempo to Song, or turn on "Ignore Preset Tempos" in global settings.

"Ignore Preset Tempos" is checked. Each song has a specific tempo entered.

In Set List mode, pressed Bank Up for next song, then pressed Preset 1. MIDI Monitor shows:

- Start
- Clock (only one)
- Control (several)
- Stop

My expectation would be:

- Start
- Clock (continuous)
- Control (several)

Is this possible?

Something must be turning off the clock. Do you have any preset actions or button actions that control BPM? Make sure those are not interfering. You probably shouldn't be using any preset actions, and any buttons that control BPM should have Send on Preset Change turned off so they don't automatically trigger.

You are right. I have button to manually start/stop the MIDI clock. Once "Send On Preset Change" was checked, pressing the Preset 1 started the clock.

Curious, is it possible to automatically choose the 1st preset for a song when pressing Bank Up/Down?

You are right. I have button to manually start/stop the MIDI clock. Once "Send On Preset Change" was checked, pressing the Preset 1 started the clock.

Curious, is it possible to automatically choose the 1st preset for a song when pressing Bank Up/Down?

Yes, turn on Instant Bank Switching in global settings.

Back