Correct Connection for Pedal Power 2 and PBC

sjgam

Want to be sure what to plug the PBC into with my Pedal Power 2 - the first four inputs have switches to go from 9v to 12v but at 100ma while the PBC Manual suggests it need 400ma.

From PBC Manual
Power – This is the main power input for the Mastermind PBC. The Mastermind PBC requires a 9VDC or 12VDC supply. The current draw at 9 volts is approximately 500mA, but at 12VDC it is approximately 400mA. The Mastermind PBC will work with Voodoo Lab power supplies that have 12VDC / 400mA outputs.

From Pedal Power 2 Manual

9/12V (x4) – Standard 9V and 12V Boss ACA
With each one of these four outputs delivering 100mA, you can easily power any 9V battery-operated pedals. Boss pedals that specify the PSA adapter operate at 9V like most other pedals. Boss pedals that require the ACA adapter operate at 12V which can be selected via switches underneath the Pedal Power 2 PLUS. Any one of these outputs can be individually selected to run at 9V or 12V.

The only way you can use a Pedal Power 2+ is to use outputs 5 and 6 (the Line 6 outputs) together with a current doubler cable, which Voodoo Lab makes. That's the only way to get enough current out of that model. The larger models and 12V 400mA outputs, which also work.

Ok thanks for confirming. Also have the courtesy outlet but its being used up by an exotic pedal.

Ok so I know the Strymon power supply’s are all 9v 500ma but I could save money and get the walrus audio Phoenix. I meant to ask if I could double two 9v 300ma output and power the mastermind safely. Everything I have found say that as long as the minimum 500ma power requirements are meant and the 9v voltage is correct everything should be fine. I just need to make sure before I drop some cash on a supply and not blow up my PCB!

By the way you products and customer service is the best I have ever dealt with! You are crushing it! Keep up the awesome work!

Ok so I know the Strymon power supply’s are all 9v 500ma but I could save money and get the walrus audio Phoenix. I meant to ask if I could double two 9v 300ma output and power the mastermind safely. Everything I have found say that as long as the minimum 500ma power requirements are meant and the 9v voltage is correct everything should be fine. I just need to make sure before I drop some cash on a supply and not blow up my PCB!

By the way you products and customer service is the best I have ever dealt with! You are crushing it! Keep up the awesome work!

You can add the outputs increasing current capabilities. Don't put them in series..or you're be doubling voltage, not increasing current. I wouldn't do it that way though. I would personally get the Strymon zuma. It's lighter, a smaller footprint and will not induce/transmit hum/noise from transformers like the one that you're considering. Plus you can increase the capabilities by add-on units extension units easily. Side note, Ron is the best. You've made the best decision on a pedal controller.

Last edited:
Back