DIY patch bay? Questions....

F

fevzay

Recently bought a PBC (and a new pedalboard for it)...

Looking for info on patch bays. I am a proficient solderer, so I'd like to tackle it myself as I already have most of the parts available (enclosure, jacks, wire, etc.).

I've seen things like Goodwood Audio's "The Interfacer" and other styles by Rack Systems, LA Sound, etc. etc. etc. Because I have the PBC, so much of what I need is already built in so the buffers, mono/stereo summing, etc. is unnecessary for me.

Is building my own patch bay as simple as putting jacks on each side of the enclosure, wiring them up, and plugging in? What am I NOT considering? Do the more "professional" boxes include other circuitry/grounding/etc. that I should consider?

Primarily, I just want to have easy access to the PBC's: In 1-4, Out 5-6, In 7-10, Output 1/Left, and Output 2/Right.

What are you guys doing that I should be thinking about?

kind regards,
jordan

Greetings. I'm relatively new to the RJM forum, but I've been playing professionally for 30+ years. I build all my own interface panels / boxes. Most "pro" interfaces really aren't more complex that what you've described : wires connect the pins. There are obviously options for things like buffering (which you indicated you don't need) and transformer iso / split capability.
I have an interface panel in each of my racks for ease of wiring onstage, and I also have an interface box on my pedalboard for quick disconnect.

Let me know how your project is going. Happy to help if I can.

The main thing to be aware of is to keep the A and B outputs of the PBC on separate ground paths so you don't defeat it's internal transformer. We offer a modified version of the Interfacer for PBC users for this very reason.
We usually "float" the B output with shielded cable.

Besides that, make sure the box is grounded and you should be good to go.

Back