Expression Pedal Question/Delay Trails

Paulg2uk

Hi guys,

I had a question about using an expression pedal with the PBC. I've decided to go back to a more traditional pedalboard and amp setup from using the Axe FX and the GT and when I used the the Fractal EV-1 expression pedal with the GT I would setup a vol block in the fx loop of my amp and that would act as my volume pedal for my rig.

My question is really to do with delay trails. When I used the axe, when playing a solo for example with a delay sound and I would end a phrase on my guitar I would move the vol pedal to the heel down position so it was turned off and the delay trails would keep going until they faded. Can I do that on the PBC using a timeline and a mission exp pedal for example?

I have a small pedalboard setup at the moment without the PBC and I've tried using a Mission VM-1 Pro into the fx loop of my amp with the time line and the delay trails don't seem to carry on when the vol pedal is turned off. It does when placed at the front of the amp. I'm guessing this is because it's a vol pedal and not an expression pedal? And they don't behave the same way in an fx loop of an amp?

I'm planning to add the PBC very soon and I just want to make sure before I start connecting anything.

Many thanks

Paul

I'm not sure I understand what you're asking...

Putting a volume pedal before the Timeline in front of the amp will allow you to kill the volume and the delay will trail on. Putting the Timeline in the FX loop of the amp and having the volume pedal at the front of the amp will allow the same thing...kill the volume and the delay will trail on through the FX loop.

I guess you could put a volume pedal in the FX loop before the Timeline...but I don't see the point in that. Then all you would be doing is killing the FX loop and not the actual guitar signal to the amp. So if you pushed the pedal heel down, the Timeline would make any delay, but you would still hear the guitar through the amp, just not what was in the FX loop....make sense?

Unless someone knows a trick I don't...you cannot do this with an expression pedal (unless that expression pedal can act as a volume). I'm not familiar with the GT, but on the PBC, the expression pedal doesn't control volume. Only MIDI commands to pedals (such as the Timeline).

I would just use a volume pedal in front of the amp, put the Timeline either after the Timeline or put the Timeline in the FX loop and call it a day. If you need expression control, then ALSO run an expression pedal. That's how I do it.

I'm not sure I understand what you're asking...

Putting a volume pedal before the Timeline in front of the amp will allow you to kill the volume and the delay will trail on. Putting the Timeline in the FX loop of the amp and having the volume pedal at the front of the amp will allow the same thing...kill the volume and the delay will trail on through the FX loop.

I guess you could put a volume pedal in the FX loop before the Timeline...but I don't see the point in that. Then all you would be doing is killing the FX loop and not the actual guitar signal to the amp. So if you pushed the pedal heel down, the Timeline would make any delay, but you would still hear the guitar through the amp, just not what was in the FX loop....make sense?

Unless someone knows a trick I don't...you cannot do this with an expression pedal (unless that expression pedal can act as a volume). I'm not familiar with the GT, but on the PBC, the expression pedal doesn't control volume. Only MIDI commands to pedals (such as the Timeline).

I would just use a volume pedal in front of the amp, put the Timeline either after the Timeline or put the Timeline in the FX loop and call it a day. If you need expression control, then ALSO run an expression pedal. That's how I do it.

Thanks for the reply, I've just realised that using an expression pedal wouldn't make a difference I'd need a pedal with the ability to control the volume to do this. I should probably mention that when I used my axe fx rig I was using it with my amp via the 4CM and I would place a vol block in the fx loop of my amp after the delay block and use and expression pedal connected to the GT to contol the overall matter vol. This would allow the delay trails to fade after the exp pedal was turned off.

Doing this now with just a vol pedal in the fx loop after the time line doesn't have the same affect. When I turn the vol pedal off after the phrase I play the signal just turned off killing the delays. But it does work thru the front end of the amp. If the vol pedal is in the same place in the fx loop no matter if its the axe fx vol block or an actual vol pedal shouldn't it have the same effect on the delay trails?

Thanks again

Paul

I’ve never used the Axe FX, so I’m unsure of how it works. But in a normal amp set up, put the volume pedal before the timeline in the FX loop. So go FX Send>volume pedal>Timeline>FX Return.

That should allow you to kill the pedal and have repeats. I’ve just never heard of having a volume pedal in the FX loop. I have only seen them in the front of the amp. I guess there’s nothing wrong with that, I’ve just never seen it in my experience.

I’ve never used the Axe FX, so I’m unsure of how it works. But in a normal amp set up, put the volume pedal before the timeline in the FX loop. So go FX Send>volume pedal>Timeline>FX Return.

That should allow you to kill the pedal and have repeats. I’ve just never heard of having a volume pedal in the FX loop. I have only seen them in the front of the amp. I guess there’s nothing wrong with that, I’ve just never seen it in my experience.

Thanks again for the reply. I'll give it a go and see what happens. The Axe FX would be setup the same front end effects and then time based effects in the effects loop. I would place the vol block in the fx loop at the end of the chain as it would work as a master vol and wouldn't affect the gain. Usually when placing a vol pedal in the front end of an amp it acts as a vol control on the guitar so the gain would be lowered instead of the master vol. That's why I was unsure as to why the vol pedal when put after the time line wasn't trailing off after the pedal was put back into heel up position. It would just turn the signal off completely. I'll try it in front of the timeline I think and see what happens, if not I'll just run it in front for now.

Thanks again
Paul

Back