Expression pedal question Mission SP-1

toasterdude

I bought the special RJM sp-1 from Mission. I dig the led and being able to use single pedal for volume and wah. I have it set up to control volume and wah on POD HD Pro.
I find that the taper on the volume swells is way too fast. Tiny pedal movement results in nearly full volume. It is hard to do smooth volume swells. I also have 2 EP-1s but am short on TRS cables to have all 3 connected. I guess I can try one of those as dedicated volume.

Is anyone experiencing similar? Maybe I can try controlling volume block on the Axe to see if it improves. The wah taper seems a bit short as well though.

That's surprising - the taper on those pedals should be linear. In pedal calibration, is the bar graph roughly in the middle when the pedal is half way up?

Hmmm just checked an no. I did a calibrate to make sure. Looked at settings on POD volume and if I put pedal in heel positon it falls down ever so slightly and is already at above 50%. Even in the calibration settings if I put in toe up and then toe down, if I bring back to toe up and it falls that tiny bit I am at over 50%? Weird. Going to try the Ep-1 to see if I get same results. Bought both very recently after ordering MMGT. The SP-1 is the one designed for MMGT with the LED and receiving power from GT.

I also have an older EP-1 with spring load and will check that.

Weird, the EP-1 seems fine it is just the special MMGT pedal that is whacky. Certainly doesn't look like linear taper. I will contact mission. Thanks!

I found the same behavior with the Mission pedals. I switched to the Korg pedal and prefer the feel of the pedal (never been a fan of the feel of a crybaby style pedal) and the sweep is perfect.

Called Mission on thursday. They were trying to say it had to be a setting on the MMGT. I was speaking to a CS guy and not a tech but he was relaying to a tech.
I tried to explain that I have 3 mission pedals here and if I leave the entire RJM, AXE, POD setup exactly the same, the two EP-1s work fine and I can live with the pedals response no problem. The SP-1 gets to 100% WAY too fast.

I said maybe they got a mis lableled pot from their supplier that was log rather than linear. CS guy said "the tech says that is impossible" we never use log pots. Uhm. . .yeah that is why I said maybe it was mislabled. He then said the tech is insisiting it is a setting on the RJM. They didn't listen when I explained the trouble sooting I had done. If two pedals work and one doesn't when plugged into same cable,MMGT, Axe and POD. . .. .the issue is not the RJM but the pot. He said the tech would call me.

Never got a call back.

There's no setting on the GT aside from calibration (handling log taper pots is on the todo list, but not implemented yet). It sure sounds like a log taper pot to me, but you can also check the pot with an ohmmeter if you have one.

The SP1-RJM uses the same potentiometer as the standard SP-1 and EP-1. They are all (or should be) 10K Linear. The difference is in the pot wiring. The RJM pedal is wired ring to wiper which is required for the MMGT. The standard SP-1 and EP-1 pedals are tip to wiper unless you have the versions with the -R switch, which can be toggled between both. Are the other pedals you are using fitted with the -R option? If so, how do you have the switch set? James.

HI James,

Thanks for the input! With enough brains on this issue, I'm sure we'll get it figured out!!

I ordered the SP-1 special for RJM. Same day I ordered an EP-1 with polarity switch. Not in front of pedal now, but switch is set in the position that works. . .lol. Calibrated fine and controls the volume and wah fine. The SP-1 didn't. The other EP-1 I had purchased last year. It did not ave the polarity switch, so I broke out soldering iron and swapped the polarity. That pedal also works fine with the MMGT.

I got emails from RJM yesterday. . .yes sunday. . .and a new pot is on the way.

With some luck I can finish the pedal board for the RJM.

3M dual lock was delivered, and I pick up next week.
ordered custom length L connector TRS cables and they just shipped. Will pick up next week.
New pot on the way from mission
replacement switches on the way from RJM.

Will have to wear my mission T Shirt tomorrow to celebrate. . .lol. We need RJM t shirts!!!!

Back