Finalising My Rig - Questions

ESPImperium

I have a couple of questions about the Effect Gizmo as i am trying to finalise my first rack this year.

Q1] To power my rig i am upgrading my PSU, i am thinking about the MXR/CAE MC403 Power System (http://www.jimdunlop.com/product/mc403-power-system) will this be ebough to power the Effect Gizmo and about 10 or so pedals?

Q2] When powering the Effect Gizmo, would i have enough juice to power a Ground Control Pro as well? I know i can go up to 800mA on a couple of the MXR/CAS thing, would this be enough?

Q3] Channel Switching, how would i be able to channel switch my Mesa F30 with the Effect Gizmo as im wanting control over channel switching, contour and reverb on it. Would i be better just getting the Mini Amp Gizmo ane be done for simplisity?

Thanks in advance.

The MC403 is a great power supply - I have one in my rig. Nice choice :)

1) Yes, the Effect Gizmo requires 550mA at 9VAC, so one of the (red) 800mA 9VAC outlets would be fine to power it. There are 10 outlets that can provide 9VDC for pedals (including the two 200mA adjustable ones - you may need to use a multimeter to ensure these are putting out 9V - it's about 2 o'clock with the button OUT), as well as four 18VDC outlets - some pedals work well at 18V (Fulltone and Xotic pedals certainly do, but check your individual pedals).

2) Yes and no. I believe the Ground Control Pro requires in the region of 400mA to run. So you'd be able to power it from the MC403 in addition to the Effect Gizmo, but you'd have to use the other 9VAC outlet, which would mean you wouldn't be able to phantom power it down a single 7-pin MIDI cable. If you got the Rocktron 7-pin to 5-pin + power socket cable, that would work fine though.

3) If you've got 10 pedals in loops, you've got 2 switch functions available on jacks on the Effect Gizmo. I don't know the F30, but it sounds like you've got at least three functions you want to switch, so that's not going to work. If you were only running 9 pedals in loops, you'd probably be OK.

Been thinking that im going to do the following:

1) Get the MC403 as soon as i can. as it will do all my needs.

2) Build a custom power cable out to the GCX from the second red outlet, im custom building part of my rack anyways, so why not some more custom? Have a custom 20-30 Ft cable with MIDI, GCX power cable and audio cable for going from my rack to my Wah and volume pedal. I have arround 90 Ft of Planet Waves Cabe Station already for this prooject, may need more now.

3) Looking at probably having only 2 OD pedals and not 3, as well as posibly only one delay and not two. Freeing up valuable loops for channel switching.

Back