Firmware 4.0.8 and editor upgrade problems

Chuck Hanning

So I just upgraded firmware from 2.1.4 to 4.0.8 and editor on computer from 2 to 4.

Many of my presets seemed to have gotten mixed up. Pc messages are different. Looks like I’ll have to rebuild them by hand.

A couple problems:
I lost the function switch as tap tempo. How do I set that up again?

I want to make a new page called midi devices that would allow me to do pc+\- for each device (H9, timeline, mb triaxis preamp, and two chase bliss pedals). How do I set this up?
Also is there a way for me to set up on the pbc to step through pages for preset setup? (Loops, switches then midi devices). These three pages are separate from preset pages right?

Lastly how to I send midi channel 5 and 6 pc messages individually to set up
Chase bliss pedals? Should I set up separate page to do that?

I’m guessing I’ll need to start with new blank settings and reset up devices and then presets.

This would be easier if I had laptop instead of desktop computer but I don’t.

It's hard for us to check upgrades between every firmware version - the more versions you have to upgrade across, the more likely it is that some setting or settings are not going to get upgraded correctly.

On your tap tempo switch, make sure "Update on Preset Change" and "Flash w/Tempo" are turned on.

Here's an example of setting up preset -/+ buttons on a page:
http://www.rjmmusic.com/forum/index...di-effects-and-save-them-to-pbc-presets.2716/

If starting over, you might want to start with this file and extend it.

If you want to step through pages, then set the button to the "Page Up" type, and turn on the Global checkbox. It'll appear on every page and will advance to the next page when pressed. Yes, the standard pages (presets, loops, switches) are global pages and are separate from preset pages.

Once you set up the Device Pc -/+ buttons, pressing those will send individual MIDI messages to a pedal, you can use those for setting up Chase Bliss.

Got it. This looks like a good start. One stupid question- can I set the mute button instead of function to do this as it’s normal function and then still have the tuner function if it’s held down?
Chuck

And in thinking about it overnight. I don't want the momentary turned on on the editor right? What I want is for the normal function vs. the hold function ? (still trying to wrap my head around the difference)

One general and perhaps more philosophical question is that even though buttons can have two functions based on either normal function or hold, in practice we should really think of it as either normal or hold, not both, right?

Follow on to above- Only good example is Loops button (normal-page 2) vs. IA Store (hold) then back to presets by normal.

If I then have programs I want using the midi device +/- page as the last page involved in setting up a preset, can I then press IA store to save those settings as part of preset? Or would you still need to go in and manually add presets you want from midi devices in edit presets from setup menu? But this would just help you quickly find what you want.

The button mode can be set to normal or hold. If it's set to hold, then the button has two functions, one that is activated when you press and release a button quickly, and one that's activated when you hold the button.

Yes, Device PC-/+ settings are saved to the current preset when you do an IA Store (for example, by holding the Loops button).

I was just reading in the manual and wondering if I can set up an IA cycle to set up a preset. Using the Loops button when first pressed would take you to loops page, then a second press would take you to switches page (page 2) (instead of pressing switches button), and the third press would take you to the midi device pc+/- page 3. At each point you hold IA store to save and then at the fourth press this would take you back to the normal preset page.

Would something like this be possible and or work as I'm thinking?
Chuck

Yes, that can be done quite easily by converting the Loops button to a Page Up button (leaving the Hold function as it is).

So, Ron, are you saying that if I set up a PC +/- button page for all my midi devices as "page 4" and then change PC's from that page and store after the changes, the new PC's are saved to that preset?

So, Ron, are you saying that if I set up a PC +/- button page for all my midi devices as "page 4" and then change PC's from that page and store after the changes, the new PC's are saved to that preset?

Yes.

Note that if you also have IA buttons that are programmed to send PCs, or any other source of PC messages, those could interfere. Make sure that any IA buttons that send PCs have "Send on Preset Change" turned off so that they don't conflict with the stored PC numbers in each preset.

Yes.

Note that if you also have IA buttons that are programmed to send PCs, or any other source of PC messages, those could interfere. Make sure that any IA buttons that send PCs have "Send on Preset Change" turned off so that they don't conflict with the stored PC numbers in each preset.
Wow! Cool, thanks!

so got this set up over the weekend and I am to do page up from page 1 to 2 to 3 to 4 to 5 (ended up creating two pages of midi devices. I'm having a problem getting back to page 1.

I've set this up as page up (thinking it would take me back to page 1 from 5) with the hold as IA store. I've also set it up as PAGE/Store, bit either way I can't get back to page 1. It's saves the presets ok but then I can't get back. Should I set it to previous? Would that take me back to preset page, or just to page 4 (from page 5)

I'm also having a problem where the presets I set up don't send the pc messages when I change presents. The H9 and TL are stuck on the algorithm I used in preset 1. As though the check boxes for "send on preset change" and "update state on preset change" aren't turned on. But I can't find where they are in this new version of the PC software. Do I need to add them as actions, in addition to the checkboxes and PC numbers for the preset tab?

Got the first part figured out. At the end of the cycle I needed previous.

Added the PC changes to the preset actions and now that's working.

On page4 with all the midi devices , a new problem is as I try to step through all the presets on the timeline it only goes up to preset 10 then starts back at 1. Is something set up wrong with the devices for the timeline? The H9 works great. The two chase bliss pedals seems to jump very quickly.

I'm also have problems saving the presets on the chase bliss pedals. I try to cue up the PC I want then go hold down the bypass and tap buttons on the pedal while sending the PC. when I go back and then try to recall that program it doesn't sound anything like what I saved. HAs anybody else had this problem?
Chuck

Got the first part figured out. At the end of the cycle I needed previous.

Added the PC changes to the preset actions and now that's working.

On page4 with all the midi devices , a new problem is as I try to step through all the presets on the timeline it only goes up to preset 10 then starts back at 1. Is something set up wrong with the devices for the timeline? The H9 works great. The two chase bliss pedals seems to jump very quickly.

I'm also have problems saving the presets on the chase bliss pedals. I try to cue up the PC I want then go hold down the bypass and tap buttons on the pedal while sending the PC. when I go back and then try to recall that program it doesn't sound anything like what I saved. HAs anybody else had this problem?
Chuck
I haven't save more than a couple presets to my Tonal Recall (presets 3 and 4) and haven't had any problems. Just to clarify, you need to hold the bypass and tap buttons, then send the PC change message for the preset you want to save. I made sure I waited a second or two before sending the PC change message.

Last edited:
As for the TImeline, check out its entry on the devices page. Make sure # of presets is set to 200, and Max PC is set to 127.

For the timeline, it is set to 200 and max is 127. Flat numbering is turned on with Msb. Shouldn’t the max presets be 199 since it goes from 0 to 199?

What’s confusing is that in presets I can call up 80 or 42 etc. and it works fine. I’ve never asked for anything beyond 99 in the presets. But I have this problem on the midi device page I created. Since the user presets are from 100 to 199, I may start to use them so need to figure this out. Could it be lsb or man:lsb ?

It's the number of presets the device has, not the highest available preset number. Since the Strymon starts number at 0, it has 200 presets.

Another possibility is that the preset numbers displayed when using Device PC -/+ are getting cut off in the PBC screen. The overall length of text is limited, so the preset number can be cut off if your button name is too long. This does throw off a lot of people, and I've been meaning to fix that.

Back