Flipping stereo? Bad?

middle_pickup

Using Mogami "zip chord" style instrument cable I have successfully finished soldering all of the necessary stereo cables for my stereo effects. I failed to remember to use the zip chord's labeling consistently though. So some wires marked with the white line are wired to TIP, and others are wired to RING.

My question: Does it matter if I mix up the TIP (LEFT) and RING (RIGHT) connectors when connecting my pedals?

Done the same thing with the zip mogami, luckily you should be able to switch around the TS (mono L/R) ends to keep the signal consistent.

I rigged up my amps and started playing as I added the stereo loops to the signal path. The easiest way to diagnose is to set your stereo effects to parallel. If one TS is mixed up (i.e. Ring for Tip) you'll have the dry signal mixed with effect on one side and only the the wet signal on the other. You can fix by switching the L&R inputs & outputs on a pedal until you have dry and wet signals on both sides.

Since Ron has the parallel path as two separate audio lines, if you mix up a TS end on a stereo input to a pedal you'll terminate the dry signal on one side and will know right away.

Just test each pedal and make sure you have both wet/dry on L&R amps and no volume increase. As well if you disengage the dry path you'll only hear the wet effect in both L&R amps.

Hope that helps!

Done the same thing with the zip mogami, luckily you should be able to switch around the TS (mono L/R) ends to keep the signal consistent.

I rigged up my amps and started playing as I added the stereo loops to the signal path. The easiest way to diagnose is to set your stereo effects to parallel. If one TS is mixed up (i.e. Ring for Tip) you'll have the dry signal mixed with effect on one side and only the the wet signal on the other. You can fix by switching the L&R inputs & outputs on a pedal until you have dry and wet signals on both sides.

Since Ron has the parallel path as two separate audio lines, if you mix up a TS end on a stereo input to a pedal you'll terminate the dry signal on one side and will know right away.

Just test each pedal and make sure you have both wet/dry on L&R amps and no volume increase. As well if you disengage the dry path you'll only hear the wet effect in both L&R amps.

Hope that helps!
I tested out my cables with my multi meter before plugging them up. A couple were switched. I think I'm set now. I've also labeled the plugs L and R with a label maker to make sure no future mistakes happen.

Back