Function button assignment causing trouble?

rmackmusic

In the PBC Editor I have created a button page (Page 4) to control a Pigtronix Infinity Looper. When I load this configuration onto my PBC everything works perfectly.
(Including assignments I have made to access Page 4 and return to Page 1).

On Page 1, I have left the function button blank as I set this as the master tap tempo for the rig.
After I select this assignment on the PBC, my Page 4 does not function.
I can access the page but then all buttons are frozen and the only means to exit is to hold buttons 1 and 3 to enter the setup menu.

Keep scratching my head but can't figure out what's happening...

On the Global page of the editor, there's a setting "Max Page". That sets the maximum page number that the GT will process. Set it to 4 and page 4 should start working. I should probably make the editor indicate when a page is disabled due to the Max Page setting.

Thanks for the reply -

I've tried setting the Max Button setting to both 4 and 16 and still no resolution.

As I mentioned, Page 4 works fine when I load the settings from my flash drive.

It is only after I assign the Function Button to Tap Tempo on the PBC that Page 4 stops functioning.

Have you tried adjusting the max page on the PBC itself after setting the button to tap tempo? The function button setting on the PBC is probably changing the max page number back to 3.

Or, you can make the Function button a tempo button using the editor

In MIDI settings, set MIDI Clock to Master
Edit the Function button:
- Set type to IA
- Delete all button actions
- Turn on the Flash w/ tempo checkbox

That will have the same effect as setting Function button to Tap Tempo in the PBC settings.

Hi Ron,

I double-checked all of the steps you recommended. I setup the function button as described in the editor and it did not work when I loaded settings onto the PBC.

I've also noticed that in addition to with my created "Looper" (Page 4), the PBC also freezes when I access the Global Preset (second tap on a preset).

Again, this issue only arises after I assign the Function Button on the PBC menu.
The PBC still reads Max number of Pages as 4.

Still puzzled...

Ok, well I'd avoid using the setup menu in the PBC and instead use the steps I provided above to assign set Function button to tap tempo using the editor. Do the same problems occur once you do that?

Yes, on the editor, Midi Clock is set to Master. Function button is set to just IA, Flash w/tempo, Momentary box is checked (this is the default). No other assignments.

When I load this on the PBC all of my pages work properly but the Function button doesn't do anything. No flashing LED and no BPM readout on the screen when I tap.
(I watch the tempo reading on my Strymons and Eventide and they are not receiving any clock signal).

Ok, set "Update State on Preset Change" to On for the tempo button and it'll work. When the setting is turned off, the PBC is expecting tap tempo information to come from an external device (the Axe-Fx and Kemper do this)

This is not at all intuitive, and it comes from the convoluted history of the "Update on Preset Change" setting (on the Mastermind GT, I had to keep changing the name of the setting to better reflect what it does, and I still don't have it right).

I think, in the end, I'll have to create a separate setting for tempo buttons that indicate whether the tempo is handled internally or externally.

Back