Ground Lift Cables

Wheresthedug

I have some grounding issues in my system and thought I would try a ground lift cable - with the earth removed at one end. As the ground is through the shield does this mean the cable itself will be more prone to picking up EMF noise etc? If so, does this mean these cables are only suitable for very short cables and should be avoided for longer runs from pedal board to amp?

Yeah, I know. I have spent a fair bit of time annoying Ron via the support email while we went through a detailed fault finding exercise. I know this get's said regularly but - Ron's customer service is by far the best I have eve come across in any industry!!

We managed to get rid of most of my issues at the time but even with an ISO transformer there was still some noise that I wanted to get rid off. I dont seem to suffer from any noise when everything is lying out on the floor with nothing touching but I get problems when everything is racked up. However, when my Triaxis and 2:90 are in the same rack (6u with Traixis in top space and 2:90 in botton) I still get transforer induced hum which is very noticable on high gain settings. As I move the Triaxis closer to the 2:90 the hum increased significantly. I have now added an ISP Decimator ProRack G and I have new problems. When the ProRack G wasn't in the case the ground loop noise was solved by toggling the ground buttons on the ProRack G. However, when in the rack this didn't solve the issue. I think there is an earth loop being created through the rack rails but I need to go through my trouble shooting from the ground up again. I don't want to end up with 2 or 3 separate ISO transformers if it isn't totally necessary.

Cables are one of the things that I need to look at. Updgraing cable quality is a possibility but I want to understand the implications of removing the earth at one end to help plan effectively.

Also, is there any way to improve the screening on the Triaxis and 2:90? They have both jsut been serviced by a Mesa approved tech who is very familiar with Triaxis but I don't think there should be this much hum.

Back