GT22 with Kemper USB/MIDI PC Messages

Needing some help. I've got my GT22 hooked up to my computer over USB and have MIDI Forward on to be able to pass messages from Ableton over through to my Kemper. It works great. The MIDI PCs pass through to the Kemper and I can see the preset name change on my GT22 (I have Auto Name on).

The problem is, whenever I try to select the next preset I want to use (1-5), the GT22 will revert the Kemper back to whatever the previous Kemper performance it was on and the respective performance slot. How can this be fixed?

I recommend turning off MIDI Forward and instead turn on MIDI Merge. You don't want the MIDI messages from the Kemper being forwarded back to your PC.

When you say you select a preset, are you selecting it through the PC, the GT or through the Kemper itself?

Okay good to know. I think I did try Merge first with the same result and then tried Forward, but I can go back and try Merge again.

I am selecting the preset via the computer. The goal is to be able to pass Program Changes from the computer over USB to the GT which can pass through over MIDI to the Kemper, while the GT stays in sync with the new selected preset on the Ksmper.

Now that I think about it, you probably should turn off MIDI Merge as well. Then, set MIDI Receive Channel (on the GT) to an unused MIDI channel. Send your PCs to the GT instead of the Kemper. The GT will change, and send messages to the Kemper. There may be some other things that need tweaking, but this should get us at least part of the way there.

If you're sending PCs directly to the Kemper, the GT is not informed of the changes, that's what's causing the problem.

Back