Help - MAG is not switching amp channels

Chuck34Lavera

I've created a short video describing my issue. You can view it at: https://youtu.be/w_tpCdXoSGk

I should start by stating that I use Mesa Trip. Rec. w/ MAG and Boss GT100. After performing factory reset (1 and 4 when powering), multiple quick set up modes (the adapter cable recommended "holding 8 until flashes / then choosing 4." I've also tried holding 8 until flashes / then choosing 3 (standard 3 channel amp). When I watch Ron on the tutorial videos, he slaps the connections together and when he hits 1,2, or 3 on the gizmo, it changes channels automatically on the amp, allowing him then to program the patches on his floor unit. My floor unit (GT100) is working wonderfully with regards to recognizing the MAG; the MAG just isn't recognizing the amplifier / foot switch. Is there something I'm missing here? I've been all through the forum and didn't see this covered, so my apologies in advance if this has been covered already. I'm starting to think that I might have a bad cable (Part #AC-RRN-10).

Thanks in advance for the advice, I'm fairly new at midi control, but I already love what the MAG will unlock with regards to minimizing tap dancing. lol

Best,

Chuck

Ok, a few things come to mind:

- Check the cable, make sure the yellow end is plugged into the MAG and the white end into the amp. (If reversed, it'll fit, but it won't work)

- Make sure the channel selector on the rear of the amp is set to Footswitch

- Check the loop and solo functions. The channels require all of the electronics in the cable to be working, The solo and loop switches are much simpler and might work when the channel selection is not.If this is the case, then we know exactly what the problem is.

Ron,

First and foremost, sorry it took me so long to get back to ya. I had to leave for a business trip the night I posted it and have only gotten back this evening to finally test it out. That said, I went down your check list and everything checks out with regards to connections and the channel selector. The issue resides in your 3rd suggestion (solo / fx loop). While I didn't currently have it set up in 4 cable method to test the fx loop, I did test the solo channel (button 6 on MAG) and it works as it should. That said, are we looking at a bad cable? Thanks again for taking the time to work through this with me, I really enjoy your product and what it's going to do for my rig.

Best,

Chuck

If the solo switch works, but not the channel, then we'll need to repair or replace the cable. Was the cable purchased from us, and if so, how long ago?

Unfortunately, we purchased the cable from a seller on ebay, but with work schedule - I didn't have time to test it and really get into the whole process until well after any sort of return would have been possible; such is life. I should note that the cable was originally from rjm music - as it came with a copy of your instructions. Are you able to repair my current cable - I will gladly pay you for your time.

We can definitely have a look at it. How much it will cost to repair depends on when the cable was made - if the chip in the cable box is installed in a socket, then it's easy. If it's soldered directly to the board, then not as easy but certainly possible.

If you'd like to send it in, I can have a look and let you know. Please email to support@tjmmusic.com so we can get a support ticket going.

Back