"Hold" function on the Strymon Big Sky - PBC button

WakeyWakeyMan

Hi all,

I'm having trouble setting a button on the PBC to act as the "hold" function on my Big Sky. The Big Sky is now on the back row and out of reach for holding its button down to go into infinite reverb. I'd like to be able to do this instead on the PBC.

I've read the manual backwards and forwards and I'm still having trouble. I want the button to work exactly as it does on the Big Sky: to only go into infinite reverb when the button is held down.

I've seen the CC message (97) but it's not working for me.

I scoured the forums but I didn't see this addressed specifically. Can anyone walk me through it step by step?

Much appreciated!

Edit a button (double click on it in the Buttons tab), set type to IA. Turn on the Momentary checkbox, and turn off all other checkboxes.

Then, delete any actions in the action list at the bottom of the screen. Click Add CC Action, then select Big Sky and Hold in the window that pops up.

You can set the button name and colors as desired.

That should do it!

Edit a button (double click on it in the Buttons tab), set type to IA. Turn on the Momentary checkbox, and turn off all other checkboxes.

Then, delete any actions in the action list at the bottom of the screen. Click Add CC Action, then select Big Sky and Hold in the window that pops up.

You can set the button name and colors as desired.

That should do it!
Thanks! Would the Button Mode be "Normal" or "Hold" in this instance?

Normal mode is correct. Hold is used when you want something to happen after the button has been held after a specific amount of time. The Momentary checkbox is what you're looking for to activate a function only when the button is being held down.

Ron, Could this be set up as a step function where the 2nd step is momentary to freeze the BigSky? I'd love to be able to set up my IA pages so that the first press selects a reverb, and the 2nd press and hold, freezes the reverb until the button is released.

No, you can't assign a hold function to only one step.

You can set the hold function to be momentary, though. Presses could turn the reverb on and off and holding the button can activate the reverb hold. The difference between your idea and my idea is that there isn't any idea of first press, second press. Pressing always toggles the reverb and holding always activates the reverb hold.

Forgot to mention that the reverb hold will only activate after the specified hold time (1.5 or 2 seconds, typically)

is there a way to "freeze" the hold button so that it stays activated until you press it again to release it? I'm trying to get my verbs to function as the "freeze" option not the "Infinite" option. Normally you can assign a button to do that and it holds until you release it allowing you to still play notes through thievery unit but not adding to the freeze...I cant seem to figure it out on the PBC

Last edited:
There are two CCs I see in the manual: Persist: CC22 and Freeze: CC70. Maybe try whichever one you're not currently using? Not even sure both are defined in the GT database right now, I'll have to double check that. You can type the number in manually if needed.

I actually already tried those #’s. I think the issue may actually have to do with them being in parallel. I was trying it in swells...which have to be in series to work...but my dry signal is killed. So when the effect is frozen, no dry signal is flowing through. Long story short...I don’t think what I was wanting Is possible. The #97 command works great as long as I’m not on a swell setting. Thanks for replying!

I believe there is some confusion above...Persist (CC22) is something totally different than what Chance wants. It means that when the reverb trail is "trailing", bypassing the BigSky will allow that trail to finish even though you've turned the BS off. I don't think that Chance is asking for that.

CC70 is also different from he wants....it allows you to select between Freeze/Infinite for the BS preset you're on, but doesn't actually do anything. All it does is select which one is active...you can chance either one via MIDI CC70, or going in the menu for that preset on the BS.

Pressing down (and holding) the button for the preset that is currently engaged (for example, if you're on Bank A, pressing and holding down the A button) will cause either the Freeze or the Infinite function to happen (depending upon which is selected for that preset). THIS is CC97. Setting an IA button to momentary CC97 will cause the button to act exactly as the button on the BS would. Setting it to "not momentary" (ie, unchecking the box) will cause you to be able to press it once and it will latch, press again to unlatch. I do this and it works fine.

As for what you are saying about the dry signal...yeah, you have to have dry signal on for the above to work...just create another PBC preset where you do NOT turn off the dry signal...done.

How do you program the dry signal to automatically turn back on??? It’s a global preset in the strymons

No, I'm saying, be sure the dry signal is ON on the PBC for the preset you're trying to use the freeze/infinite on. I thought you were saying you killed the dry signal via the PBC (you can only do this if running things in parallel...you can't do this if loops 7-10 are ALL in series).

Maybe I misunderstood. If your dry signal on the PBC is on, and the BS is in parallel...you should be able to strum a chord, freeze it (or infinite, whatever) and then play with it...then hit the IA button again to unfreeze. It will do this even if the dry signal is killed on the BS (killdry).

No, I'm saying, be sure the dry signal is ON on the PBC for the preset you're trying to use the freeze/infinite on. I thought you were saying you killed the dry signal via the PBC (you can only do this if running things in parallel...you can't do this if loops 7-10 are ALL in series).

Maybe I misunderstood. If your dry signal on the PBC is on, and the BS is in parallel...you should be able to strum a chord, freeze it (or infinite, whatever) and then play with it...then hit the IA button again to unfreeze. It will do this even if the dry signal is killed on the BS (killdry).

Perfect. I’ll try it!

Back