How do I control my PBC with Ableton?!

I have been at this for a few hours and am not getting any where. I have a midi track with a midi note sending out to the PBC but I do not understand the MSB and LSB equation thing. Is there any one out there that is using ableton to control their presets? Ron I have read the External Control section of the manual extensively and I guess its not a thorough enough knowledge of MIDI but I am missing it big time. I am stabbing in the dark at the moment so if anyone has some answers, that would be amazing!!!!

You'll need to send MIDI PC or CC messages to the PBC - it doesn't respond to MIDI notes. You need to set "MIDI Receive Channel" to something other than None, and then send your MIDI messages from Ableton on that channel. PC messages will change presets on the PBC and CC messages can turn on loops, buffers, etc.

I don't know a lot about Ableton but there should be some way to do it. I know that more than a few customers are using Ableton, probably more with the GT than the PBC, but it would work exactly the same way. Hopefully someone who's done it will share their experience.

The big issue i am having is the MSB and LSB calculations. I dont know how to determine the MSB or LSB in the equation that is in the manual.

To access a specific preset on the PBC:

MSB = preset number divided by 128 (deleting anything after the decimal point)
LSB = preset number - (MSB x 128)

Example:

To get preset 597:

MSB = 597 / 128 = 4.664, drop the decimal so you end up with 4
LSB = 597 - (4 x 128) = 85

Controlling the PBC is straight forward in Ableton

On the PBC set the MIDI Rx Ch e.g to 10, and connect the PBC Midi IN to your Midi device OUT,
in my case a USB Midisport 4x4

In Ableton go to Preferences, Mdi Sync tab and enable the Output MIDI PORT of your device.
Preferences.png

Create a Midi track in Ableton´s timeline, choose your Midi device for output and same Midi Channel as the PBC receive (here Ch.10)
Timeline.png

For every Preset change on the PBC you insert a MIDI clip

Highlight a clip and enter the relevant values for Pgm Change in the Notes view:
Bank 1
Sub 1
Pgm 1-128 for Presets 1-128 (PBC)

Bank 1
Sub 2
Pgm 1-128 for Presets 129-256 (PBC)

Bank 1
Sub 3
Pgm 1-128 for Presets 257-384 (PBC)
ect….
Clip1.png
Clip2.png

You can also send CC messages to the PBC by using the Envelopes view (click the E bottom)
In my example using CC#48 and CC#49 for Loop 1 and 2 ON/OFF. (see manual for all available)

Env1.png

Env2.png

Hope this helps
Manne

Last edited:
Thanks, Manne! I don't know why your images didn't come through - it looks like they're valid links to Evernote. I'll see if there's some setting I can change in the forum.

I think I need to get a copy of Ableton Live in here soon...

Back