How do I setup my MMGT22 to follow my AF3 MK2?

I don't see anything wrong with those settings. Please send me your current settings file and I'll try it here.

It's working fine here. The Drive button is following the drive effect block state. I can, for example, turn the drive block on and off in Axe-Edit and the GT's button will follow.

Do your other bidirectional functions work? Tempo flash, tuner, etc? And do other buttons sync up properly?

Button 14 page 1 for Chorus 1 is not updating either. Button 7 Page 1 for Delay 1 is behaving the same, as in not updating.

Tempo Button (Button 4 Page 1) is flashing, but doesn't seem to change when I test it. I tried to apply a very fast tempo, and it looks to have stayed the same.

Tempo Button (Button 4 Page 1) is flashing, but doesn't seem to change when I test it. I tried to apply a very fast tempo, and it looks to have stayed the same.
The tempo button needs a tempo CC assigned to it. (Right click on button, select Assign CC > Axe-Fx III > Tap Tempo)

Are there effect block buttons that do update correctly?

Ahhhh, I just made the change on the Tempo Button and will load it in a bit.

I haven't seen any of the effect block buttons update correctly. I just went through a few presets and their scenes, and none of the effect blocks on Page 1 updated correctly, but I believe I mimicked the Cycle aspect on most if not all of them. Seems it might be a good idea to change a couple away from the Cycle aspect, and see if they behave correctly at that point. Your thoughts?

I added the CC to the Tempo button and I can control the tempo via Button 4 Page 1.

I went through and changed most of the effect blocks on Page 1 to a Normal button, removing the Hold feature. It is still not updating to match what I have in each preset, even with me going back through and using Get Preset Names. FYI

I just don't know what's going on, all buttons update here when I try your settings. I'm using GT firmware 4.6.3 and Axe-Fx 17.00 - is that what you're using?

I decided to go ahead and do a Factory Reset, just in case one or more of the settings files I downloaded caused some strange behavior. After the reset, it initially seemed to follow what I have set in my AF3, but when I changed to other presets the same behavior was still there. I wrote code in a couple of my Govt job functions back in the day, so I thought I might just get lucky and trip over whatever issue is at play. I suppose I'll have to leave it in your capable hands. Do let me know what I can do to help us trouble-shoot this puppy.

When I'm back in the office, I'll have to try version 17.01 to see if that's an issue.
Hi Ron,

Thank you for your continuing efforts.

As I’ve had these issues since receiving the GT22, and I was already on 17.01 public beta #2 at that point, that certainly sounds like a good next investigative step.

have a good weekend.

...and a little more data to assess. One of the first days I had the GT22, I'd not only tried it connected with my AF3 MK2, but also with my AF3 MK1. I believe I had already downloaded Ian's settings, but either way, my MK1 showed the same behavior as the MK2. A few minutes ago, after going through all the adjustments that seemed logical to try, I again turned on my AF3 MK1. It was still on FW 16.00, and since I was still using my GT22 as it sat after doing the factory reset, I thought it worthy to give it another go. After doing the prep work for a new device, I gave it a try. It is behaving exactly as it seems that it should, meaning it and the GT22 are staying in sync, and displaying the correct data for what I've selected in my presets. Correct blocks displaying as well as turning off and on appropriately, and displayed as dark when the preset doesn't have a block type. I was preparing to update the firmware from 16.00 to 17.00, to see how it behaves, since you mentioned the AF3 at your shop is on 17.00. It very well may work properly in 17.00, too, but I was sure glad to see this proper behavior.

Soooo, is this only related to FW 17.01, or is any of the scenario possibly driven by the addition of MK1, MK2, and MK2 Turbo variants? (I don't have a Turbo, so can't assist with that)

I wanted to let you know, so it might free up a bit of your thinking this weekend. I remember what it was like when the National program I wrote at the US Postal Inspection Service, was having a hiccup in close proximity to our final roll out.

Cheers,
Lee

Well, I missed 17.01, they're now on 17.02. I downloaded that, and it also works fine here.

This very well could be a MK1/MK2 issue. There's not supposed to be any difference between MK1 and the later models, MIDI-wise, but you never know. I only have a MK1 here. If you feel like giving 17.02 a try on the MK2, and then perhaps on the MK1, it would be some very good data, possibly something we could pass to Fractal if it turns out to be on their end.

Getting a log of MIDI communications between the Axe-Fx and GT would be ideal, but that requires a 2 in / 2 out MIDI interface and some software to do MIDI routing and monitoring. Probably not stuff most people have laying around.

Wow, I missed 17.02 dropping. Yeah, I’ll absolutely give it a try on both units, and see what I have to report.

I don’t presently have the setup for capturing the MIDI data stream, but I do still have a fair part supply, from when I repaired/upgraded/modded the older tube guitar amps. I have most Macs these days, but do still have a PC laptop or two, mainly for those times when software doesn’t exist on the Mac side. Do you have any suggestions on software that might be a part of this capture kit, free or otherwise?

Lee

@rjmmusic

Ron,

Ok, I backed up my AF3 MK1 that was on FW 16.00, and loaded FW 17.02. Immediately afterwards, my GT22 was out of sync, so after going back and forth between firmwares, I performed a cold boot of my GT22. My GT22 was again totally in sync with my AF3 MK1 on FW 17.02.

I will shift some cables and upgrade my AF3 MK2 from FW 17.01, to the newest FW 17.02, and of course, perform a cold boot on my GT22. Further data to follow.
Lee

Last edited:
Ok, interesting... It's starting to look like an MK2 issue, then.

On the Mac, you would need two MIDI interfaces, or a 2-in,2-out interface. Then you need MIDI Patchbay (from notahat.com) and MIDI Monitor (from snoize.com), both free

Connect GT MIDI In & Out to MIDI interface 1 Out & In, respectively
Connect Axe-Fx MIDI In & Out to MIDI interface 2 Out & In, respectively

Use MIDI Patchbay to patch MIDI 1 In to MIDI 2 Out and MIDI 1 Out to MIDI 2 In. This puts the Mac in the middle of the communication between the two. Then, you can use MIDI Monitor to watch the communication in both directions. The GT queries the Axe-Fx twice a second, I just need a couple second's worth of data capture.

Back