How do you use songs/sets feature live?

Don Anderson

I don't use a lot of effects but there is a Van Halen song with the phaser, a song with wah, switch to strat ect. So what are some examples of using this that you've found useful?

I'm still configuring my PCB file. I can't wait to have the song/setlist completely configured. It's going to make life easier. Right now, for the most part, I sit in IA mode. I have a pretty big show coming up in February at a Hard Rock Cafe...I'd hope it will be done by that point. The idea of the setlist/songmode would be to set the pedalboard NOT in IA mode but the preset Setlist/Song mode.

When doing a set, the songs are in the order of the set, all that is needed is to move to each song consecutively in the set. The 5 main presets will be at my fingertips where I don't need to remember to press each individual loopd for each song/part. For example, if you have a VH song (any is a good choice :)). The song may start with a flanger and clean channel for the intro, main part maybe dirt ch w/phaser, then solo, switch to a phaser, OD and delay. So you have only three presets in that song. Step on the preset needed for each part....done! The board is configured correctly for that particular song.

I'll start by saying I am no PBC expert, there are many of them here that have helped me get up and running!

I live in song and set list mode. I mainly play at church (3 Sunday services, 1 weekly youth service). My PBC went into full time use about 7-8 months ago, and I haven't looked back. I'm running a wide array of pedals stereo. I have about 35 pre-set sounds, most are used across a wide variety of songs (clean, a couple of flavors of OD, a couple of flavors of distortion, short dotted 8th, long dotted 8th, etc...), but there are some weirder things programmed for certain songs. As we play each week, I enter the songs and their respective presets and settings into the song list. As each set is created of a given week I create a set list. Just doing this for the last 7 months, I have a library of about 300 songs. At this point I'm only adding 1-2 new songs per week.

I can do most setlist from my computer. I can mostly put together a given new song from the computer (as long as there are no crazy sounds) in which case I need to work the sounds out plugged in and save them. My board and amps live at church. So I come into practice each week with my memory stick, plug it in and load the newly created set lists (and anything else new), any play away. It's easy enough to make and save any adjustments on the fly. My biggest issue at this point is finding the song I'm looking for in the song list when creating a new set list.

I hope this helps.

I use song presets for any songs that have more than 3-4 pedal changes between a section or sections... basically more changes than I could reliably do live. So those become one button press.

Outside of those, I have 12 "instant access" song templates that allow me to access all of my drives, 4 different reverbs, 2 different delay patterns, 2 tremolo options, octaves, chorus and vibrato, using the "2nd press" or step functions of the PBC. I use those for most Sunday/Wednesday church stuff.

In the cover band I was in, I created a setlist with a song for all the songs we did... mainly for the tempo's.

Back