Hum coming from amp cable to rack gizmo

scottmcg

So in my hunt for the source of my ground loop noise I have discovered the custom cable for my Mesa F30 plugged into the amp 1 (or 2) jack of the rack gizmo is the biggest source of noise. When I unplug it all goes quiet. How do I fix this? Is there a pin on the custom cable I can cut? The ground lift switch on the rack gizmo does nothing for this. Should I ground lift my amp? Any suggestions?

Sounds like something is shorting out that shouldn't - I'd try removing the screw from the 8-pin jack on the Rack Gizmo - it may be coming in contact with the connector shell.

Tried removing the screws, still hum. I also tried on my older mini amp gizmo, same noise. I never noticed it before in years of using it, but I haven't had my amp on in a silent house for a long time. So I'm thinking maybe just a bad cable? It is about 7-8 years old. The hum is not crazy loud, but it is noticeable when you plug the cable in and out at either the amp or the gizmo. Took off the ends of the cable, nothing obvious. Thanks.

There could be a short in the cable - if you send it in, we could look at it...

Back