IA Cycle question for Revival Drive Custom

Chris Green

I have a Revival Drive Custom and a Revival Drive Hot Rod Custom. I'm controlling them both with the PBC10 using a Kossek FX Dual Revival Drive Midi Interface. It can switch all the functions of a Revival Drive Custom via midi. Each channel of the Revival Drive has 4 on states and there's one off state, for a total of 9 PCs. RD Midi IF Preset manual attached if you need to see the Midi implementation chart.

I would use Device PC - & +, like I do for Strymon Timeline & Mobius, as you can see them cycle through patches, but the Revival Drive only shows channel 1 or 2 active or Bypass on the pedal. You can't see the blend override or mid boost on the Revival Drive. I do have LEDs for each state on the Kossek FX interface, but can't fit it on the surface of the board unfortunately. It has to go underneath.

I've just figured out how to set up IA Cycle to scroll through Bypass > Channel 1 > Channel 2 and back to Bypass using 3 of the 4 steps which is great.

Is it possible to set up one button to IA cycle through the 4 on states of channel 1, and a second button to IA cycle through the 4 on states of channel 2 and use groups to only have one PC from the 2 buttons active at a time? Could you also use the hold function to access a 5th state?

Chris

Attachments

• RD MIDI IF Preset manual v5.pdf
    642.3 KB · Views: 2
Yes, you could have one button with four steps that send PCs 1-4 and another with four steps that send PCs 5-8. You could also have a hold function that sends PC0 for bypass.

Hi Ron. Thanks for the quick response. I appreciate your help. I’ve watched the IA Cycle video quite a few times now to copy what you do with the Timeline with IA Cycling and grouping. I tried to replicate what you said above tonight with 2 switches controlling one of the Revival Drives, but the switching kept going out of sequence. I did have the CC for bypass on both switches. Would that cause any interference?

I'd need more information to answer that. What's it doing that it's not supposed to be doing? Also, send me your settings file so I can try it here.

Hi Ron. I'd to cycle through the PCs of each channel giving them their own footswitch on the PBC. When one is on, the other should be off. I grouped them together to have only one footswitch on the PBC to be active on at a time. I could get it to sync with one footswitch setup, but when I added the 2nd, I lost sync with the Rev Drive as I cycled the footswitches on the PBC. I also couldn't figure out how to keep the other IA Cycle footswitch in bypass on the PBC while the cycling though one I was using.

Thanks for your help

Attachments

• PBC Settings Chris Green.rjs
    84.3 KB · Views: 1
Are you sure this is the right file? I don't see any IA cycle buttons or buttons that send PCs to the MIDI interfaces.

Apologies. I haven’t done an export before. I chose export from the file menu and exported system, button pages 1-7 and presets 1-40. This is the file that it exported. Is that the correct way to export?

The attached is the last save of my PBC settings. See the Dry Loops page 4 of Buttons.

I've had another go tonight and set up 2 foot switches to cycle through each side of the Revival Drive and another 2 foot switches to cycle through each side of the Revival Drive Hot Rod. The first step of each foot switch is a bypass so when one is switched on (on the PBC), the others are bypassed. All 4 foot switches are in Group 3. I also have the Revival Trem and Magma57 on other foot switches on page 4 and also in Group 3. I don't want to stack any of these for now.

It seemed to work correctly until I added in one CC message to each foot switch to bypass the Hot Rod if the Revival Drive is engaged or vice versa. After I added this step, the audio loops didn't switch when I changed pedals. For example, if I switched through the functions of the Hot Rod on the PBC, it was bypassing the Revival Drive, but playing the unaffected audio from loop 4 (Revival Drive) instead of 5 (Hot Rod). The pedals were cycling correctly but the audio loops weren't switching.

I think I'm nearly there. Can you have a look let me know what I need to do to correct the cycle steps please?

Attachments

• PS - 19-4-23.rjs
    1.7 MB · Views: 1
The problem is that IA cycle buttons will only do the "ON" side of an action. The OFF values are always ignored. So, if you want the loop to be on in one step and off in others, you'll need to have an Audio / Loop action in every step, explicitly turning the loop on or off at each step.

Thanks. Will one audio / loop off action of each loop I don’t want open the after audio / loop on action of the current pedal per foot switch be enough to make it work? For the Magma57 and Revival Trem loops also? As in any loops in Group 3?

Is it also possible to control the amount of time the name of each cycle step flashes on the screen of the PBC? It would be handy if that held for a second or two longer.

Last edited:
Thanks. Will one audio / loop off action of each loop I don’t want open the after audio / loop on action of the current pedal per foot switch be enough to make it work? For the Magma57 and Revival Trem loops also? As in any loops in Group 3?

Is it also possible to control the amount of time the name of each cycle step flashes on the screen of the PBC? It would be handy if that held for a second or two longer.

I'm not sure what you mean, but perhaps a better way to look at it is: what do you want to happen at each step? Make sure everything that needs to turn on or turn off at each step is represented by an action. Don't assume that something that is turned on at one step will automatically be turned off in the next step (because it definitely won't)

Sorry, at this time, there's no way to change the time that button names are displayed.

The problem is that IA cycle buttons will only do the "ON" side of an action. The OFF values are always ignored. So, if you want the loop to be on in one step and off in others, you'll need to have an Audio / Loop action in every step, explicitly turning the loop on or off at each step.
Thanks for your help Ron.
I think I'm pretty close now. It's working for the most part. IA Link turns itself on sometimes when I make an edit and I have to keep turning it off and re saving it.

I added in some actions to turn off the loops I didn't want open when cycling through steps or switching between foot switches. With the amount of actions I have per foot switch on Button page 4, I reached the max of 20 actions and couldn't apply an off action for every Audio loop I want off at each step. Does it normally require this many steps to cycle and avoid errors?

Attachments

• PS - 20-4-23.rjs
    1.7 MB · Views: 0
Thanks for your help Ron.
I think I'm pretty close now. It's working for the most part. IA Link turns itself on sometimes when I make an edit and I have to keep turning it off and re saving it.

I added in some actions to turn off the loops I didn't want open when cycling through steps or switching between foot switches. With the amount of actions I have per foot switch on Button page 4, I reached the max of 20 actions and couldn't apply an off action for every Audio loop I want off at each step. Does it normally require this many steps to cycle and avoid errors?
I guess it depends on your definition of "normally" - most of the time, people have one action per step, selecting presets on an effect device or something simple like that. So, plenty of room for that.

You can use macros to extend the number of actions you can fit. Create a macro that contains the contents of each step, then use a System / Macro action in each step to run them. One action on the step button can run up to 32 actions in a macro.

Hi Ron. Thanks for suggesting macros, everything cycles correctly.
The only problem I have now is I can't get the led to display on the PBC for the hold functions for the four buttons with IA Cycles. The hold buttons switch correctly, but the led is blank on all 4.

What are the correct settings to get the led to display?

Attachments

• PS - 22-4-23.rjs
    1.7 MB · Views: 2
Yes. For each IA cycle, and for the hold button.
I made 2 macros. One opens loop 4, closes loop 5 and bypasses the Revival Drive Hot Rod with PC and CC. The other opens loop 5, closes loop 5 and bypasses the Revival Drive with PC and CC. Those actions happen repeatedly for each IA cycle button I set up. I use one of the macros for each step or hold function, then set the action I want to happen.

I'm also using a hold function to turn on/off the trem of the Revival Trem and Magma 57. Their button settings are are just a simple open loop 7 or 8. No IA cycles. The led for their hold functions work. To get hold function leds to work, I've found I need to have an on color and both color.

Is it because I'm using a Macro on the hold function?

When determining the color of a button, the main function of a button has priority. The way it works is:

If the main function and hold function are off, the main function's off color is used
If the main function is on and the hold function is off, the main function's on color is used
If the main function is on and the hold function is on, the hold function's both color is used, unless that color is set to None, in which case the main function's on color is used.
If the main function is off and the hold function is on, the hold function's on color is used, unless that color is set to None, in which case the main function's off color is used.

A cycle button on a hold function is a different case (it's not just on or off), and probably one I never really worked through to figure out all of the possible cases and how they should interact.

How would you like it to work?

hmmm looking at your file now, I see the macro's. Interesting.

I see the presets that you created. Not sure if IA on/off color would be your issue for the preset you're calling...you do have them both listed as black. That's just on/off values though. Just sort of thinking out loud on this one. I don't normally use macro's like this so I'd be interested to see if Ron has a solution to create multiple colors on those steps. I'm not sure its something you can do. I'd use the IA Cycle feature personally. You can pick 4 colors easily on those cycles and visually see where you're at on any of those steps.

When determining the color of a button, the main function of a button has priority. The way it works is:

If the main function and hold function are off, the main function's off color is used
If the main function is on and the hold function is off, the main function's on color is used
If the main function is on and the hold function is on, the hold function's both color is used, unless that color is set to None, in which case the main function's on color is used.
If the main function is off and the hold function is on, the hold function's on color is used, unless that color is set to None, in which case the main function's off color is used.

A cycle button on a hold function is a different case (it's not just on or off), and probably one I never really worked through to figure out all of the possible cases and how they should interact.

How would you like it to work?
There’s so many things for you to consider when designing the PBC. Thanks for the explanation. This is very clear.
On the button settings page, I cycle through 4 of the 5 PC messages for the Revival Drive. Bypass (Black led) > channel 1 blend override (yellow led) > channel 1 blend override, mid engage (red led) > channel 1 blend (aqua led). This all works. Repeat for channel 2 with slightly different colours. For the hold function of each I access the final PC message for channel 1 blend, mid engaged (purple led) I have both on and both led set to purple. The audio and PC message work, but the led doesn’t illuminate.
Is it because the IA cycling the led doesn’t light up?

Damn! I looked quickly and was trying to figure out what you were referring to earlier and didnt' see your steps or call steps..realizing I wasn't on your page 4 where your macro's and steps were configured! Great song list btw.

Back