Idea for remote switching

middle_pickup

I'm considering modding a Boss DD-5 as seen in this video. Assuming this guy is right in his claim that Boss pedals contain momentary switches, will I be able to use the PBC10's function switch to engage the DD-5?

I have no more loops left, but I would like to place the delay in the insert point before loop 7. With auto-tap this would work really nicely!

It should work, but I definitely haven't tried it. Boss pedals definitely have momentary switches, so if you set the function switch to momentary, you should be all set.

So I finally bought a DD-5 to mod according to this plan. However, I have been thinking it through and I think I have identified a problem. I want to be able to use the DD-5 on a per preset basis with the Mastermind. I'm pretty sure the momentary function switch idea works. I've ordered parts to mod my DD-5, but they're lost in the mail. Ugh.

Assuming I can get the PBC's function switching set to momentary working in this way I would begin building presets in my Mastermind editor to turn the DD-5 on when I want a particular preset to use that pedal. However, once I engage a preset sends the momentary switch to turn the DD-5 on won't it stay on after I leave that preset? I know this is hard to explain, but I think I need a way for the presets that DO use the DD-5 to send a second momentary switch "click" to turn the DD-5 when I leave that preset for the next one. Is there a way to program a preset to click the function switch again on exiting the preset?

I really want to be able to use the DD-5 on my board. It has to be built into my preset workflow though. I can't go back to tap dancing. I'm looking at a couple of other options that may get a thread of their own just to keep ideas easy for others to learn from.

If the function switch is set to momentary, it will take care of that for you. It will pulse each time the pedal is supposed to switch from on to off, and each time it supposed to switch from off to on. The only potential problem is if it gets out of sync, where it's on when it's supposed to be off. You'll have to press the switch on the pedal in that case.

If the function switch is set to momentary, it will take care of that for you. It will pulse each time the pedal is supposed to switch from on to off, and each time it supposed to switch from off to on. The only potential problem is if it gets out of sync, where it's on when it's supposed to be off. You'll have to press the switch on the pedal in that case.
Thank you for the response! Help me understand something else. A momentary switch sends a pulse, right? It just connects the tip to the sleeve for a few milliseconds, right? I use my other function switches to trigger the favorite settings on my Strymon pedals. Those have to stay on for the favorite mode to remain engaged. That means that when I move to a preset where that function switch is not engaged for the fav setting, the Strymon pedal goes back to normal. Keeping in mind the differences between the momentary and latching switches, how then will the DD-5 get toggled off when switching presets? The only way I can see this working is if I somehow program the presets that want the DD-5 on to also send a second momentary switch pulse when I move to a new preset. Am I getting this right?

That's correct, and the PBC does that for you automatically if it's set to momentary. You specify for each preset whether the function switch should be on or off, and the PBC will pulse the switch every time it needs to change state.

That's correct, and the PBC does that for you automatically if it's set to momentary. You specify for each preset whether the function switch should be on or off, and the PBC will pulse the switch every time it needs to change state.
Okay cool. I thought that this remote switching idea wasn't going to work for presets. I started thinking up other ideas for how to add the DD-5, but if this works I'm happy not adding extra weight to the board with the Hex switcher and MLM. The buffer in Boss pedals are typically pretty okay anyway.

I'll update the thread with progress for anyone interested. I have seen a lot of other Mastermind users that place pedals outside of loops, so I know I'm not alone here.

I successfully modded the DD-5! I'm going to put it on my board soon, and start programming my presets to use it. I'll probably do a video to show off how it works.

Back