Is the PBC right for me?

Dryheaves

I've been giving some thought about assembling a new board. I would like to get something that is more compact and lighter in weight. I'm currently using a 30x18 Trailer Trash board with a flight case for transport. Very heavy and awkward. It contains all analog pedals and I use a Loop-Master true bypass looper for my switching needs.

To consolidate space, I believe I'll likely invest in a Strymon Mobius and Timeline or something similar so I can cut down on the amount of modulation and delay pedals I have on my board.

Here's what I need and want to use:

1. Wah
2. Tuner
3. Compressor
4. Dumble style overdrive
5. Plexi Style overdrive
6. Mobius for modulation
7. Timeline for delays
8. Tremolo (probably a Fulltone Supa Trem jr.)
9. Klon Klone for leads (probably an Archer)
10. An always-on type of boost for very slight break up when digging in. I use the Fulltone Fatboost 2 for this function currently, but would like to try the AC booster for this.
11. Possibly a small reverb pedal like a flashback reverb.
12. Maybe an octave

I would also like this board to function as a go-to for backline amps like a Twin, where i'll need to be able to get all of my sounds from the board. My Trailer-Trash board allows for this. I would like to get some sort of tiered board where I can put rarely used pedals under something and out of the way.

My switching needs are very basic. I don't really use many effects simultaneously. Here's what I usually do:

1. Compressor is rarely used except for some clean finger style parts that need a bit of boost/help.

2. I don't really stack overdrives. The dumble style overdrive and the plexi style overdrive would be used one at a time. Could they both be placed in one loop of the PBC and I can manually turn on/off the pedal itself if I want to use it? This is how I use my Loop-Master. Both of my overdrives are in one loop. I just turn which ever pedal I don't want off.

3. Klon klone would need to go in it's own loop. I use this after the overdrives for a small bump in volume and gain.

4. I also would use the Klon Klone in conjunction with a delay. Some solos require some echo and I would like to be able to access with one button. I have my Klon and echo on it's own loop in my Loop-Master. If i know i have a solo coming up with echo needed, I just switch the echo on before the song so it's ready to go when the solo arrives.

5. I don't really stack modulations together. Usually just use them one at a time, and sparingly. I like these after the overdrives, but in front of the amp.

6. Delay is sometimes used in conjunction with modulation. I don't do any crazy delay effects, just a few simple repeats that work for solos, or a quick slapback. I have two delay pedals on my board for both long and short repeats. I believe the timeline can take care of these needs but in one pedal. Using the PBC i can assign the different delay types needed to different buttons.

7. Reverb would be used only if i'm playing one of my amps that doesn't have it or if I need it for a backline situation. Would be used sparingly.

8. Tremolo is usually used by itself for some clean stuff. Sometimes with overdrive.

So basically, my biggest preset needs would be to access my lead boost with echo together in one switch. Most other effects would be direct access. I'm sure I could come up with more presets with having the mobius and timeline. I have simple switching needs.

-I don't really like dealing with tons of pages, banks, songs, etc. I like to keep it simple.

-I don't do stereo

-Being able to switch amp functions in conjunction with some effects would be cool, but not required. Sometimes I play through backline and won't have this available. Can I make presets and direct access buttons for amp functions and still be able to use it if I don't have my amp handy? For example, I would love to setup all of my pedals and presets with my amp functions in mind, but still have the convenience of plugging into a Fender Twin and being able to switch to just my basic pedal switching. Would I have to reprogram everytime? Hope this makes sense.

Thanks for your help! I know this is confusing.

Right off the bat - I would say a confident YES. The PBC is king and can pretty much handle all of your dreams... simple OR complex. I'll try to address most of your questions as I understand them...
With a computer Editor - pages, banks, songs, etc is just so easy to sort and wrap your head around. But if you didn't want to do that - you could just use the PBC as a switcher like your Loop Master. On your main button page that you'd use Live you could even assign some switches to be true bypass loops that engage individual pedals and some switches to be presets (i.e. - Klon Klone w/Delay. They can be in separate loops but recalled together whenever that preset button is engaged).

I would also recommend just using your Dumble and Plexi drives in separate loops that you could just engage with their own switches on the PBC. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ But you could certainly have them in the same loop if you don't mind the extra "tap-dancing".

The PBC can have amp switching functions attached to any Preset or switch. If you're in a situation where you're NOT using an amp that switches channels - just leave the Function switch jack unplugged on the PBC in my understanding. No need to reprogram.

With reverb - you can just turn on the reverb switch and leave it engaged for your gig if the backline amp doesn't have verb. You could even put that switch on Page 2 of the PBC so you don't have to have it on the main page where your most important effects will be lined up.

**ALSO** you may prefer your own Tuner - but to save space I ditched mine on my new board and just use the built-in tuner on the PBC. It's very consistent and has never let me down.

If I were in your situation I would configure it as follows...

Guitar >
PBC...
- Loop 1: Wah
- Loop 2: Compressor
- Loop 3: Octave pedal
- Loop 4: Dumble Overdrive
- Loop 5: Plexi Overdrive
- Loop 6: Klon Klone
(Out 5-6 Breakout: Always on RC Booster)
- Loop 7: Fulltone Supa Trem Jr.
- Loop 8: Strymon Mobius
- Loop 9: Strymon TimeLine
- Loop 10: Flashback Reverb
> Amp

For loops 7-10 you'd need to make sure to use stereo to mono cables like Ron talks about in this post: https://www.rjmmusic.com/2016/03/29/using-stereo-pedals-with-the-mastermind-pbc/

Hope that helps!

Attachments

• MonoStereoCable.png
    MonoStereoCable.png
    2.2 KB · Views: 2
  • RingDisconnectCable.png
    RingDisconnectCable.png
    2.3 KB · Views: 1
Last edited:
Paul left some very good comments with explicit considerations which definitively took some time to compose. I don't think I can add much to those very good ideas for setup.

The only addition I can offer is I believe the PBC can serve you well. I'm not sure based on the amount of pedals, you're going to slim down much using the PBC. It probably weighs more then what you're using as a switcher currently...but it's definitely more powerful and can offer you benefits over what you currently use. I'm using a Friedman 15x30 tiered board using every bit of landscape top/bottom and did some custom work on it. Switching to a strymon zuma and R300 saved me landscape and weight over my previous (Voodoo Labs Mondo). The board itself isn't too heavy but putting it into a flight case adds 10-15 lbs. So the end result isn't very light. Practices, I take the Friedman carry soft case since that keeps things much lighter.

[QUOTE="I'm using a Friedman 15x30 tiered board using every bit of landscape top/bottom and did some custom work on it. [/QUOTE]

Can you tell me the width remaining on the lower tier with the 2 pedal risers in place? I emailed Friedman, but he didn’t have one handy. I’m planning to go from a pedal train 32 and I’m concerned about space.

A pic would be appreciated.

Here's the modified Friedman board...give me a bit to measure. I've been working on a new design which I can/will be manufacturing for production. The risers are removed...not enough space for how I use it. Cantilevered is a custom milled support for the Big Sky.

Off of the board any pedal connects via XLR jack additional foot pedal controllers..as well as other remote accessories (left side of board where right now you see only one XLR connected...which is just the channel selector cable you see connected). I wouldn't want a volume or expression pedal on the board. I'd rather have them separate and move them where I want...and of which just plug in. I do have the underside of the board filled too.

Last edited:
I'll give you two measurements.. From the top position of the PBC to the Friedman and the bottom of the PBC to the Friedman first tier edge. There are two numbers since the rear of the PBC is perpendicular to the face of the PBC, not the bottom. The top measurement is ~2 3/16", the bottom is ~2" to the edge of the Friedman first tier. The upper row of jacks is above the next tier. Installing longer straight jacks are not of concern (as long as they don't hit the pedal cases on the next tier). Mine JUST clears the upper pedal cases and are strategically placed. Location management is very important for them all to fit and not interfere with plugging the straight jacks in the top row of the PBC.

Obviously from my image there is enough room to fit 1/4" jacks straight and angled. Straight jacks cannot be utilized on the lower jacks row of the PBC (unless you install them before you're dropping in the PBC). Angled plugs on the bottom row work perfectly fine. The board size definitely takes a bit of planning if you have larger pedals or many pedals. If it wasn't for the use of using BTPA SP400 jacks, what I installed could not have been possible without creating higher tiers which I do not like. I don't want any pedals higher then the top tier on the board. I don't need a pedal-board case 2' high.

...hope this helps.

Thanks, because I would like to mount at least 2 of my volume/expression pedals on the board, I’m curious as to if the PBC will fit length wise with the 2 pedal risers in place.

I feel like I’ve hijacked this thread enough, thanks for your help.

Attachments

• BD7A7C0A-F4E7-49CE-818F-1D1FF69215C2.jpeg
    BD7A7C0A-F4E7-49CE-818F-1D1FF69215C2.jpeg
    893.9 KB · Views: 12
Thanks, because I would like to mount at least 2 of my volume/expression pedals on the board, I’m curious as to if the PBC will fit length wise with the 2 pedal risers in place.

I feel like I’ve hijacked this thread enough, thanks for your help.

...I'd say you'll be hard pressed to fit that all on the board. As mentioned, I prefer them off of a board as when/if I use them, I like enough room to use them...plus many of them like the RJM Mission pedal is really heavy...making my board overly heavy to carry in one piece.

Wow Paul, thank you for the detailed response! Very helpful.

I'm starting to narrow down my pedal choices. Maybe this will indicate the size I'll be needing.

Wah- G-Lab Wowee-Wahh (I love this wah. I have it on my current board)
Polytune 2

I'm guessing I don't need to put the tuner and wah into the PBC? Would there be a need?

Wampler Mini Ego Compressor
Dumble Style Drive- Zendrive
Plexi/Marshall Style Drive- Friedman Dirty Shirley Drive or Wampler Plexi-drive (maybe, still deciding. Recommedations?)
Klon Clone- J Rockett Archer
Tremolo- Fulltone Supa Trem Jr.
Modulation- Strymon Mobius
Delay- Strymon Timeline
"Always on slight breakup"- Xotic AC Booster

Maybe:

Octave- Mini Pog
Reverb- TC Electronics Hall of Fame

Would I need some sort of buffer box a the end of the chain even with the PBC? I currently have an Axcess line buffer at the end of my current board and it's awesome. No signal loss at all.

For boards...I really like the style of boards with the shelves you often see the GigRig people using. This seems like it would save space and allow me to put pedals I dont need quick access to out of the way and under something else. Here's a link to their gallery. https://www.thegigrig.com/rig-gallery

Now for some more questions:

1. For guys that are not using labels on your buttons, how in the world are you keeping up with what is assigned to each button? This seems like it would get confusing very quickly. For my uses, I believe that I would want to physically label my buttons just to make it easier and instantly visable. Most of my functions will be instant access.

2. I've never owned a midi-capable pedal like the Strymon....correct me if I'm wrong, but can't I assign an different effects from the mobius and timeline to different buttons? Here's how I'm thinking of having my loops/buttons setup. This will also be my most used settings in an instant access situation.:

Page 1:

1. Zendrive
2. Plexi Drive
3. Archer
4. AC Booster
5. Supa Trem
6. Phaser from the Mobius
7. Chorus from the Mobius
8. Leslie from the Mobius
9. Archer with a Delay from Timeline
10. Timeline delay

Page 2:

Almost a repeat of Page 1, but with some other presets that are occassionally used. I would also put the compressor and reverb on this page since they aren't always needed. I would think I would want Loops 1-

1. Zendrive
2. Plexi Drive
3. Archer
4. Archer with timeline delay
5. Compressor
6. Reverb
Loops 7-10 would contain variations of the page 1 modulation mixed in with delay, the autowah/mutron sound from the Mobius, octave and/or reverb.

Page 3:

When playing with one of my 3 channel guitar heads, I would like to use the amp switching functions in place of the drive pedal options. I'm using a Fuchs TDS. Will soon be adding a Friedman BE DLX and Suhr PT15 whenever they come out later in the year. Here's how I'd use it with the Fuchs. Page 3 would go something like this:

1. Clean channel 1. Maybe with compressor or the AC booster
2. Channel 2 overdrive on Fuchs.
3. Channel3 Lead Channel on Fuchs
4. Channel 3 Lead Channel with a delay from timeline
Loops 5-10 would contain the tremolo and other modulation/delay from the mobius and timeline for access when I'm using the amp channels.

Basically, think of Page 3 as sort of a duplicate of page 1, but using amp channels for drive and leads instead of the pedals.

I have seen instances of other guys using separate midi-capable boxes to switch banks up and down on their PBCs. I assume this is done as to not lose two buttons to dedicate to bank switching. Where could I find something like this?

I would also like this board to have the ability to run everything in front of the amp (in case I get a twin or something similar for backline with no effects loop) or use an effects loop. My current analog board has this ability.

What other products would I need from RJM to make all of this possible?

I hope this all makes sense. As you can tell, I'm new to the world of MIDI and MIDI switching. Very appreciative of all the help!

I'll try to address some of your questions.

Regarding buffering, there are 3 on the PBC. Buffers you want to put as close to the guitar signal to prevent signal loss associated with unbalanced/long cable runs (as long as the pedals used aren't effected like wah's and germanium based pedals). Will you need more then 3...no. Many pedals include buffers as part of their circuit, adding extra isn't going to help...depending on design, they can change your tone for the worse (if you like your base tone)

An extra tuner is not necessary as one is integrated into the tuner. That being said, I do have a peterson strobe tuner on a rack...My onboard PBC tuner is placed as an on-hold function as when it's turned on, it mutes all guitar to the amp...it's set to on-hold function to prevent accidentally pressing the button during a set. Obviously that would not be a good thing. I'd prefer that button be on the external button capabilities, but at this time, it is not possible. I believe that's the only control that is not available as an external button control.

Regarding LCD seperate button windows, that would be an awesome feature which I'd buy if available on latter releases. For now, the only option is to view the main screen before depressing a preset (you can name buttons there)...meaning the preset before selected will blink on all active buttons scrolling the names you create. This may sound confusing...an example would be a song preset named "X". You have three presets "intro", "verse" and "solo". Choosing that named song, the LCD screen how I set it will say song X, and then the three buttons will scroll and blink "intro" "verse" "solo". At that point, it's irrelevant which pedals are turned on or off as you've set that up according to the song requirements...hence the word preset :). Each button if set, will show the control...but that's sort of late as the only way you know what it is..would be by pressing it.

Instant access page. I would only create one. It would be way to confusing to me to have more since there is not an LCD for each button to choose a pedal and use different buttons on different pages. Could you do it..sure. Each button is programmable. The main LCD can show what each button is...BUT that's only once you press it. You can assign via midi any button to control your midi function. So you could have a page set to control all buttons to be each midi program if you wanted. I have a midi page that I use for each midi pedal I use for testing. For example: when I have a new song, I can scroll through each midi pedal's presets and choose one that fits the song best at that time during practice...in essence sample each preset...then I tweak that preset later and assign it to a PBC preset via midi command.

Regarding boards...that's a whole other topic. I don't like shelved boards. I don't want my pedals under others or sitting stacked so they are not accessible. There are times I may want to bend over and tweak a knob on one and shelving or hiding those pedals doesn't provide that access. Before the PBC, I used exclusively RJM's Effects Gizmo rack unit. Though nice to have the pedals on a rack shelf, being in a closed drawer, it was not accessible to the point of not being able to bend down and tweak a control. I actually do still use the Effects Gizmo WITH the PBC only so I have additional loops for pedals which doens't kill my tone when not being used..but those are set it and forget it pedals...or stuff I barely ever use...but they are available if I want them (or even pedals to a/b test) without ripping my floor pedal-board apart.

Funny part is all is setup so meticulously...for the most part, my main sound is pretty basic..but it's all there for arsenal. My main tone comes from my Friedman BE and my Diezel running stereo...both with a bit of grit added with an overdive. The PBC is so versatile, it's a great controller to use for it so that I'm not killing my basic tone..and only adding those "extra's when needed.

...whatever you think you'll need, you'll probably change around as you use things. So it's difficult to say what else to purchase. Maybe as a suggestion, start with the 10 base pedals you think you want/have...most certainly pick up 50ft of pedalboard cable, and a variety of jacks including SP400's, short switchcraft straight and switchcraft 90's (and stereo plugs).

...side added note, you may want to consider a midi thu box...i.e. midi solutions quad thru. Depending on what how you use your midi, midi latency and midi errors can occur when daisychaining thru multiple sources.

Last edited:
[dryheaves said:
...I have seen instances of other guys using separate midi-capable boxes to switch banks up and down on their PBCs. I assume this is done as to not lose two buttons to dedicate to bank switching. Where could I find something like this?...

You're referring to the external pedal control. That is just a box with up to two momentary switches. It can be any non-latching normally open switch. RJM sells them as well as other manufactures offer boxes like that. This box plugs into the PBC via tip, ring sleeve and is controlled via the PBC. These buttons can be programmed to control just about any function the PBC controls. Think of it as two additional buttons on the PBC but just as a separate box.​

Back