Issues with GT 22

dougc84

Hey all (and Ron),

First off, I got my GT 22 this week. I'm beyond excited. It's part of my dream rig, and I'm incredibly happy this is beneath my feet. Ron's been a tremendous help with questions via email and this forum, and I can't thank him enough for everything he's doing with RJM.

So, I have several issues, and maybe someone here can help out. Here's the current setup:

• - GT 22 on the floor, connected to a Kemper via the phantom power adapter (7-PIN), plugged in to the MIDI Out port (as recommended). I'm using Performance Mode on the Kemper.
  • - Mission RJM-EP-1 plugged in to the Expression 1 and Switch 1 ports
  • - Ron provided an adapter cable to use the Remote In as a MIDI Out (that still boggles my mind), and that cable is plugged into a Mini Effect Gizmo. It's MIDI Through is going to a Strymon Timeline, and the Timeline's MIDI Through will be connected to a Strymon BigSky (I haven't built out the cable yet).

So here are my issues/questions. I've done research on all of these but I cannot find viable answers.

Issue 1: I have the KPA set up with Auto Names on. I've set Sync Names both on and off, but I can't really figure out what it does exactly, and it doesn't seem to be documented. I've pulled the preset names down several times, Factory Reset, and tried without doing that. Every time I run into the issue where one of the following two things occurs:

1. Bank Up/Bank Down display the current performance name in the main display, but selecting a new preset does not change the performance. It's stuck on the current performance, unless I go to "Preset List," select a new preset, and then I'm stuck the performance that the selected preset belongs to. Running "Initialize Presets" seemed to remedy this, but I've had it come up a couple times, and that's the only fix.
2. The more major problem: Bank Up/Bank Down gives me no indication that I'm banking up or banking down on the displays or the preset buttons. If I'm on, say, performance #5, first preset/slot (PC 21), and want to go to performance #6, first preset/slot (PC 26), pressing Bank Up displays performance #5's name, no matter how many times I press it. The preset buttons do not change at all. However, if I press Bank Up once, then press the first preset, I'll be on the next performance, first preset. Basically the problem is I'm getting zero feedback that I'm changing performances, and, in a live setting, accidentally hitting the Bank Up button twice could cause some severe sonic consequences. Any thoughts on what might be wrong?

I should add that, if I'm in song/setlist mode, bank up/down works properly. I'm convinced it's some sort of sync issue. I'm using the latest Kemper firmware (3.0.2).

Issue 2: Using the Mission RJM EP-1, I've got it set to group [12] 3 4. I don't plan on ever needing more than 2 options, and I have a dedicated volume pedal that will be in my rig soon as well. I've set the button/switch to be a "Pedal 1" type so that it will switch which expression pedal it acts like properly. However, I'm at a loss of how to get the LED light to illuminate properly. If I set the switch/button to an IA parameter, it illuminates like it should (I don't know what kind of ninjary you all have in those TRS jacks to make that happen but I like it). How would you recommend this to work? I'd like to have it illuminate so I know what expression pedal I'm functioning as, especially since I want this as a post-amp/pre-fx volume pedal 95% of the time. I was thinking that maybe a dummy CC on/off message could accompany it, but I'd rather not use workarounds if there's a valid solution.

Issue 3: (Really more of a bug report) The Mini Effect Gizmo's default CC #s in the Mastermind for each loop are incorrect - the Mastermind is using 80-84 to control the CC's, where the manual states 88-92. I tested this out, and 88-92 work properly.

Thanks for your help in advance.

Ok, first thing to check - on the KPA's System settings page 3, check the "Rig Auroload" and "Performance Autoload" settings. They should both be turned off. This might be the source of the first two problems.

I'll fix the Mini Effect Gizmo default settings, thanks!

rjmmusic said:
Ok, first thing to check - on the KPA's System settings page 3, check the "Rig Auroload" and "Performance Autoload" settings. They should both be turned off. This might be the source of the first two problems.

I'll fix the Mini Effect Gizmo default settings, thanks!

Thanks Ron - that seemed to do the trick. I didn't even consider that autoloading on the Kemper would have caused that issue!

I think I solved the issue with the expression pedal as well - I'm going to have expression 1 and 2 work as volume, and the patches that I need other effects, I'll have that button toggle on the parameter needed, or send a bad CC on message to another device. It's a bit of a workaround, but it'll work for my purposes.

Totally loving this GT 22. I can't stop playing with it. My wife is a bit angry at me right now but she'll get over it :)

Back