Looking for firmware upgrade assistance

jjozwia

I'm not sure how I managed this but it seems I've somehow borked my GT22 and cannot get into firmware update mode.

Trying to upgrade from 2.2.0 to 2.3.1...

Unziped the firmware and put MMGT231.rjf file on a thumb drive (only file on drive)
Booted the unit holding the two little black buttons under main display
I believe LCD#1 changed to:
MMGTB Boot v1.0
Awaiting download...

Put my thumb drive in nothing happened...

Anyhow, in some combination of retrying my entire top row got toasted...
LCD#1 would display the same message on boot even without holding the buttons down:
MMGTB Boot v1.0
Awaiting download...

Buttons #2, #3, #4 were blank rather than my settings but main display was my normal first song
Pressing the two little buttons under the display would not enter setup, they didn't seem to work at all
Funny thing is rest of rows continued to display and function fine with my previous settings.

To get into setup grabbed my backup from PC editor and added another page with the setup IA
This allowed me into Setup on the GT22 and I performed a factory reset however no change for top row
Finally tried "Update Button FW", each row briefly showed the update message:
MMGTB Boot v1.0
Programming...

Unit now appears to be functioning normally again... AWESOME!
Everything on top row displays, buttons #1-4 work, little black buttons can get me into setup

Now for the life of me cannot get it to try to update firmware again...
I hold down the two little black buttons and power up
main display comes up to my 1 song as usua
If I don't let go if the buttons they eventually go into setup

I've tried inserting 4 different thumb drives...
Tried both the 2.3.0 (MMGT230.rjf) and 2.3.1 (MMGT231.rjf) firmware versions
Thumbdrives are formatted fat32, and the .rjf file is the only file on the thumbdrive
I can use the thumbdrives to restore a .rjs save from my workstation so know port and sticks are good
One of the thumbdrives I used when upgrading to 2.2.0

Sorry for the novel, hopefully missing something simple and someone can point me in right direction

Cheers

Hi, a couple of questions..
Is this the first time you're updating the Firmware?
Is this an older unit?
Have you recently Changed the Buttons on it?

I updated the firmware once before back in late December or early January when I first got the unit.

Not sure on age as got it second hand. You are correct, the switches have been replaced. When I first got the unit the switches were overly sensitive, worked with Ron to order replacements and swapped all 22 of them. Cannot say for certain but my assumption would be performed the last firmware update on the old switches just because that would have been one of the first things would have performed for new to me gear.

Thanks!

Older Unit, New switches that's what I thought. I had the same Issue.
Here's the solution:
It's easier if you get someone to help you.
Power down the unit.
Plug in the USB with the new Firmware and leave it in.
Hold down the top 4 Buttons and the 2 Black Buttons at the same time then power up the unit.
As soon as you see the Boot up Screen let all the switches go.
:D

So painfully simple it hurts... seriously from trying to hit all those on my own! Thank you so much, that worked flawlessly and firmware loaded without issue. Do you have to do that with each firmware update or just the first one after the switches were swapped?

Getting this resolved makes my evening, greatly appreciate it!!!

No problem!!! Anytime... My wife helps me update my Firmware :D whenever I need to...
Yes you need to do the same procedure with each update..
Rock It!!!

Yes, sorry about that - the bootloader in the earliest units doesn't handle the new switches correctly. We can update the bootloader to fix the problem, but unfortunately you'd have to send it in for us to do it. It's the only part of the firmware that's not user upgradeable.

One of our guitar tech friends has a special piece of wood he uses to hold all of the buttons down. :D

Hmmm, wife or a special piece of wood... where do I need to send it?!?!

Kidding, took all of five seconds to pull up a chair so I could hit them and now know what to expect for future updates.

Many thanks everyone!

Got it! Hold down the buttons until inserting the USB stick.

Now to figure how to get it to read my Axe FX preset names. (Got that too. My phantom power box has the "To MIDI Output" jack open instead of the one to input. So, of course, even though I know the GT is controlling the Axe FX and the manual makes everything very clear, I still plugged it into the Output/Through. Duh!)

Last edited:
Got it! Hold down the buttons until inserting the USB stick.

Now to figure how to get it to read my Axe FX preset names. (Got that too. My phantom power box has the "To MIDI Output" jack open instead of the one to input. So, of course, even though I know the GT is controlling the Axe FX and the manual makes everything very clear, I still plugged it into the Output/Through. Duh!)

You need to wire up both the input and output. The output sends the data back to the MMGT, telling it what's happening. I'm having issues with my KPA though - it doesn't seem to read that data any longer.

Oh, right, I forgot the Axe does two-way. Yeah, you'll have to read up on that. You'll probably want to check your MIDI cable from the Axe to the Phantom box to ensure it actually has 5 wires. Many don't - they only wire up pins 1, 4, and 5 (I believe that's correct) and 2 and 3 are needed for the two-way communication. BTPA has really good quality MIDI cables that are known to have the proper wiring.

Hi, I got the gt 10 from a friend and it is still on 1.4.1. It was bought early 2014. All of the above mentioned actions didn´t help.
After the Bootloader Screen simply nothing is happening. I´ve tried older firmwares but the unit is not reading the firmware.
Has anyone any ideas that could help?
Thanks.

Back