Mark V and Voodoo Lab Ground Control Pro/Behringer FCB1010

rkaczano

Hi I have a Mark V. I am using a TC Electronics G Force and in the midst of picking up a MIDI foot controller. Debating on either a Voodoo Lab Ground Control Pro or a Behringer FCB1010.

Do both of these work well with the Mini Amp Gizmo?

Thanks

Re: Mark V and Voodoo Lab Ground Control Pro/Behringer FCB10

One last thing. If I purchase this for my Mark V I believe I need a Mesa friendly cable (i.e. Mesa uses its own cables for channel switching). Does this ship with the unit automatically or do I have to order the cable separately?

Thanks

Both controllers will work fine with the Mini Amp Gizmo. The Ground Control has the advantage of being able to be phantom powered from the Mini Amp Gizmo if you use a 7-pin MIDI cable to connect the two.

The Mark V interface cable is a separate purchase, and is necessary to get everything working. Our cable is a little more than just a cable - it has additional circuitry in the cable that allows us to "fool" the amp into thinking the real footswitch is connected.

I am in Canada. So I assume I will be purchasing the unit itslelf from a retailer here like http://guitareffectscanada.com/.

How do I order the cable? Do I order it from that same retailer or from you directly?

Thanks

You can definitely order the cable from Guitar Effects Canada as well. The Mark V cable is one of the most popular ones, so it's likely they'll have it in stock.

One last point. How are the connections made between the FCB1010, G Force, and the Min Amp Gizmo?

I know I connect the Mini Amp Gizmo to the amp. It then takes a Midi In cable.

Do I connect my FCB 1010 to my G Force and then my G Force to the Mini Amp Gizmo. Or does the FCB have two Midi outs: one to the G Force and one to the Mini Amp Gizmo?

Thanks

You would connect the FCB MIDI output to the G-Force's MIDI input. Then the G-Force's MIDI Thru jack connects to the Mini Amp Gizmo's MIDI input.

Ok all set up.

FCB1010/G Force/Mini Amp Gizmo are all communicating on MIDI Channel 1.

Have grouped buttons 1-3 on Mini Amp Gizmo to group Mesa Mark V channels

Have used the WRITE button on the Mini Amp Gizmo to remember two specific MESA Channel choices for two specific patches on my FCB1010 (Patches 11/MESA Channel 1 and Patch 13/MESA Channel 3). I also keep the EQ and FX loop active (buttons 4&5 on Mini Amp Gizmo)

I also have my FCB1010 Expression Pedal A assigned to my Input level to use for Volume Swells on both Patches 11/13 (#CC27)

Two things are happening:

1) When I click on patches 11 or 13, the MESA channels change as they should. I assume this means that all three devices are working correctly on MIDI channel #1. However when I click another patch, my Expression Pedal A gets disconnected from my G Force. I can see it physically disappear on my MOD screen. This happens if I go from patch 11 to 13 or 13 to 11 or from either of these to any other patch

2) When I click on any other patch the Mini Amp Gizmo defaults to MESA Channel 1 and turns off the EQ and FX loop.

Why is this?

Thanks again

Not sure about no. 1 - the amp gizmo doesn't transmit any midi to your g-force, so the problem may lie with the fcb1010 or the way the presets are programmed in the gforce - you may have to enable your expression pedal as a modifier in every preset you want to use it in and save each of those presets. I don't have a g force myself but it would seem that the mod settings are per preset, not global so that's probably your problem.

2 - This is the correct and intended operation. Just like your G force has over 200 presets so does the MAG, and each one of them needs to be programmed. It sounds like you've only programmed it for PCs 11 and 13, so thats why any other preset changes back to channel 1 and turns the eq and loop back off. You just need to spend a few minutes programming the rest that you're going to use! :)

Back