MASTERMIND GT 4.2 beta 2 Firmware / Editor

Status
Not open for further replies.

rjmmusic

Administrator
Staff member
A beta release of 4.2 is available. I wasn't originally going to make this a beta, but the changes turned out to be pretty significant. Best to label this as a beta, just in case.

Use this release with Axe-Fx firmware 1.16 beta 2 or later.

FEATURES
  • "Poll State" setting for the Axe-Fx III makes the GT query the Axe-Fx's state periodically so that any changes in the Axe-Fx or Axe-Edit will show up on the GT. This will work for effect block bypass and channels. If you also have "Ignore Incoming PC" turned off, it will also track preset and scene changes from the Axe-Fx and Axe-Edit.
BUG FIXES
  • Fixed broken Axe-Fx I and II support
  • Fixed Remote Mode when using an Axe-Fx III
  • Fixed double flashes when Calc Tempo From Flashes is active
  • Allow non-Cycle buttons to properly sync with effect block channels
  • (4.2 beta 2) Fixed problem with IA Cycle buttons
NOTES / KNOWN ISSUES
  • In order to see the Poll State option in the Devices tab, you may need to set your device to a different type, like "Axe-Fx II", then set it back to "Axe-Fx III". You should only have to do this once.
  • There is still an issue where Axe-Edit running might interfere with button presses on the GT - pressing effect buttons won't always register. This only happens for some people (including me!). I am working with Fractal on this. In the meantime, if you experience this problem, you will have to pause or quit Axe-Edit when using the GT.
TO UPDATE FIRMWARE:

PLEASE DON'T DO A MAJOR FIRMWARE UPDATE RIGHT BEFORE YOUR BIG GIG!

THIS IS BETA FIRMWARE AND WILL LIKELY HAVE BUGS!

- First, back up your settings to a flash drive or computer! If you go back to 4.1b1 or earlier, your GT will factory reset.
- Download and unzip the firmware file.
- Copy the file to a USB flash drive, and remove any other .rjf files from the flash drive.
- Eject the drive from your computer.
- Power on the Mastermind GT while holding the 1 and 3 buttons.
- Keep holding until you see "Mastermind GT Bootloader" appear on the screen.
- Now plug the flash drive into your GT. The update should begin and will take a few minutes to complete.

Firmware: http://www.rjmmusic.com/downloads/MMGT/Beta/MMGT42B2.zip

Mac Editor: http://www.rjmmusic.com/downloads/MMGT/Beta/MMGTEditor-4.2b2.dmg
PC Editor: http://www.rjmmusic.com/downloads/MMGT/Beta/MMGTEditor-4.2b2.zip

Manual: http://www.rjmmusic.com/downloads/MMGT/Mastermind GT Manual-4.0.pdf

Editor Manual: http://www.rjmmusic.com/wiki

Last edited:
There seems to be an issue with the settings conversion. I have an IA step button set up for different exp pedal settings. In the new file the button is reset to the default colour and all steps have lost their name. Both setting files in attachment. The one with beta in the name is the converted file. The button in question is the one at the top left corner of almost every page.

Attachments

• mmgt POST LL beta.rjs
    2.5 MB · Views: 3
  • mmgt POST LL.rjs
    2.5 MB · Views: 1
Another issue: every time I change scenes within an axe FX preset (using the GT), it first switches to scene one before getting to the selected scene. It's audible as well as visual. Video attached.

EDIT: can't attach video. It can be found here: https://www.dropbox.com/s/j1iu14nwgxsbu4v/IMG_5591.mov?dl=0

EDIT 2: Out of the blue the issue went away. Strange, it was happening on all presets before, now on none. I'll keep checking.

Last edited:
"Poll State" setting for the Axe-Fx III makes the GT query the Axe-Fx's state periodically so that any changes in the Axe-Fx or Axe-Edit will show up on the GT. This will work for effect block bypass and channels. If you also have "Ignore Incoming PC" turned off, it will also track preset and scene changes from the Axe-Fx and Axe-Edit.
Can't get this to work. Are specific settings on the Fractal needed?

Can't get this to work. Are specific settings on the Fractal needed?

Do you have Poll State turned on? In your files, the option is not visible because you need to go through the process I described in the original post (switch to another model like Axe-Fx II, then switch back to Axe-Fx III). That will expose the Poll State option.

There seems to be an issue with the settings conversion. I have an IA step button set up for different exp pedal settings. In the new file the button is reset to the default colour and all steps have lost their name. Both setting files in attachment. The one with beta in the name is the converted file. The button in question is the one at the top left corner of almost every page.

I just released 4.2 beta 2 which fixes that issue. Sorry about that...

Reactions: Jop
Do you have Poll State turned on? In your files, the option is not visible because you need to go through the process I described in the original post (switch to another model like Axe-Fx II, then switch back to Axe-Fx III). That will expose the Poll State option.
I did have it turned on actually, I guess I saved the files before I turned it on. I'll try again tomorrow.

Do you have any idea what could cause the weird scene behavior I was experiencing?

I've seen it happen when the scene buttons weren't set up correctly. If you see it in 4.2b2 please send me your settings.

Ok thanks, will do.

One more small thing: Since 4.1 the behavior of the drop down menus in the editor has changed. If I press enter in the drop down menu to select the value, it closes down the whole button settings window. Seems like a bug, in the earlier versions of the editor this was not the case. I've shot a short screen capture video to illustrate. First up is the old editor, second the new one: https://www.dropbox.com/s/ib72anbrbh5z47m/GT editor menus.mov?dl=0

I've seen it happen when the scene buttons weren't set up correctly. If you see it in 4.2b2 please send me your settings.
Hi,

Yes it's happening again, unfortunately. Here's my settings file.

Attachments

• mmgt POST LL.rjs
    2.5 MB · Views: 2
Hi,

Yes it's happening again, unfortunately. Here's my settings file.

You don't have any actual scene buttons, do you mean the preset buttons?

And, are you using any PC mapping on the Axe-Fx?

The scene issue seems to be related to the fact that the GT sends a PC as well as a scene number when you select a GT preset. The PC makes the Axe-Fx go to the default scene for the preset, then the CC selects the desired preset. "Ignore Redundant PC" on the Axe-Fx doesn't seem to be working, and I would think it would catch something like this. I'm asking Cliff about it.

Alternately, turning off Direct Send on the GT will fix that issue, because turning it off allows the GT to do its own checking for redundant PCs. I'm not sure if turning off Direct Send will cause other problems for you. While I'm waiting for an answer, I will see if I can remove the dependency between Direct Send and Send Redundant PCs - it probably doesn't need to be there.

Cliff says that the "Scene Revert" on the Axe-Fx should also help with this situation. He says that "Ignore Redundant PC" isn't supposed to affect the scene switch when a PC comes in.

No issues with scenes here.

AFAIK the "default scene" parameter on the III only kicks in when selecting presets from the front panel, not when processing incoming PCs.

FWIW, I have Default Scene set to "Scene 1", Scene Revert to "ON", and Ignore Redundant PC to "ON" on the III.

On the GT I have Direct Send set to "OFF", and Send Redundant PC to "ON".

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back