Mastermind GT: Splits and Layers

Mike McGary

My GT 16 has been a huge help to my keyboard rig in so many ways. But there are two areas that need help:

1. Splits and Layers: it would be great if I could assign a key range to each Device on the Presets page. Right now, I get full keyboard layering with all devices that are active for that preset. If a range could be specified for each device, I could easily have the left half of the keyboard playing two devices as a layer and have the right side playing a third device.

2. MIDI feedback: My primary keyboard is also a sound source. Since it is using channel 1, that means that every note I press goes out as channel 1 and comes back into that keyboard as channel 1. When I am playing with local-off, the primary keyboard is still making a sound because of the events coming back into it from the GT. When I am not using local-off, the primary keyboard is double-triggered. My hack solution is to take a Midi Solutions router configured to not let note-on data back into the primary keyboard, but lets the program change and other important data (volume, local-on/off, parameters from foot pedals) through. If I could block the note events from going to that device (either in the devices page or the presets page), I could get rid of some complex fragile midi routing.

Otherwise the GT has met my needs very well. It has put all of my previous rig controller devices to shame.

Back