MEG X CC Link with MMGT?

jasonmauer

I have the Mini Effect Gizmo X integrated into my guitar rig managing nine loops (!) and it's working great. There's one last thing I haven't been able to rig up, and that's integrating the MEG X with my MMGT to display the current loop states. For example, a Loop 1 button on the MMGT that is on or off based on that loop's state on the MEG X itself. I can control the MEG X just fine from the MMGT -- enabling/disabling loops, etc -- but state changes on the MEG X don't update the display on the MMGT.

I've done a bit of MIDI monitoring and don't see any CCs coming from the MEG X when a loop is enabled or disabled. With MIDI CCs it would be possible to setup the buttons on the MMGT with CC Link to keep their state in sync. Is this something that could be implemented in a firmware update? Or maybe it's already there and I have something misconfigured?

You haven't misconfigured anything, the MEGX doesn't send CC messages when one of its buttons are pressed.

Generally speaking, when controlling a loop switcher with CC messages from a MIDI foot-controller, all changes are made on the foot-controller.

You haven't misconfigured anything, the MEGX doesn't send CC messages when one of its buttons are pressed.

Generally speaking, when controlling a loop switcher with CC messages from a MIDI foot-controller, all changes are made on the foot-controller.

That totally makes sense for players that are using it stompbox style with one-way communication. For my scenario I'm using in conjunction with an Axe-Fx III where I have bidirectional comms between the MMGT and my guitar rig. The MMGT reflects the current state of the Axe-Fx on the pedalboard at all times and ideally the MEG X would do the same, especially since it's in that same MIDI chain and these are both RJM devices.

As an example, I have an FX page on the MMGT with common blocks from the Axe-Fx such as Drive, Delay, Chorus, etc. I can pull up that page at any time to see what blocks are enabled for a given scene/preset, enable or disable them, etc. I'd like to do the same with the MEG X loops for the following reasons.

I'd rather use the MEG X's presets to store its data than the MMGT. The MEG X has the same number of presets as the AxeFx (1024) so it they can maintain a 1:1 association, whereas the MMGT only has 768 presets. It's super convenient to use the MEG X in that manner. Both the AxeFx and the MEG X use the same PCs, and to configure the loops I just pull up a preset, set the loops how I want, and hit the Store button on the device -- boom, done. Plus there are some presets where I need to make changes to the loop order, which is easy to manage via MEG X presets but a pain to do so via the MMGT. (That requires SysEx, but the SysEx messages in the MMGT aren't long enough to configure loop order. And even if they were, having to go the SysEx route for each different loop order variation is a hassle.)

The MMGT provides a better view than the MEG X. For starters, the MEG X doesn't display all of its loop states -- it only has LEDs for the first 6 loops. And even for the ones that do have LEDs, they aren't great to look at anyway in the middle of a gig when it's dark and I can't tell which position the LEDs are in (or not even see them at all). The MMGT could solve this right at my feet with its CC Link support, but it needs those MIDI CCs coming from the MEG X in order to do so.

Please consider this as a feature request to add outbound MIDI CC messages to the MEG X whenever the state of a loop changes. With that it would be the perfect companion to my Axe-Fx and the MMGT. (Probably would be good to also add a setting on the MEG X to enable/disable this functionality for those that don't need it and don't want extra MIDI chatter.)

Thanks for your time and for making amazing products!

(Actually I'll add this in the Suggestion Box, since I just realized that's where feature requests go. :D )

(Actually I'll add this in the Suggestion Box, since I just realized that's where feature requests go. :D )

Hey Jason,

You didn't even give me a chance to reply :D

Thanks for your feedback and we've already added it to the list ;)

Have a great one!!

Back